40 gallon stocking options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimwithme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I'm almost ready to start stocking my 40 gallon. Hopefully just a few more weeks. Tank Dimensions are : 3ft long x 18' h x 15' w

I am considering these to stock my tank. What are your suggestions?

8-10 Harleys or 8-10 Long Finned Zebra Danios
4-6 Panda corys
2 Kuhli loaches (if I can find them)
1 Male / 2 Females - Blue German Rams (I will wait a few months to introduce these)

Do you think the rams would nip at the danios?

Is this considered stocked? If not, what else would you suggest?

The only advice i can give is not to get Panda Cories. I had 6 in my 15 gallon and even though my water is perfect, they dropped like flies. in total I've bought 10 and i ended up with 4.

Mine might have just been bad stock though. Good luck! :D

swimwithme said:
Okay, I'm almost ready to start stocking my 40 gallon. Hopefully just a few more weeks. Tank Dimensions are : 3ft long x 18' h x 15' w

I am considering these to stock my tank. What are your suggestions?

8-10 Harleys or 8-10 Long Finned Zebra Danios
4-6 Panda corys
1 Male / 2 Females - Blue German Rams (I will wait a few months to introduce these)

Do you think the rams would nip at the danios?

Is this considered stocked? If not, what else would you suggest?

Ya and maybe a pleco of sorts? A bn is good! And no the gbr's wont nip at danios, but they will get territiorial during mating

I do not want a pleco and figured once I started having algae I might get some ottos. I like those much better. :brows:

Do you think I could up the numbers in the school to like 10 to 12?

Ya and maybe a pleco of sorts? A bn is good! And no the gbr's wont nip at danios, but they will get territiorial during mating

I have a very large rock with holes specifically made for cichlids and I also have fake driftwood along with plenty of plants (fake, for now) There are plenty of hiding places.:hide:

I would highly suggest a minimum of 5, more is better. I have a dozen in my 46. They are extremely social creatures and really find safety in numbers.

I do not want a pleco and figured once I started having algae I might get some ottos. I like those much better. :brows:

Do you think I could up the numbers in the school to like 10 to 12?

Are you talking about 12 otos? They will run out of a natural food source really quickly if you have that many in a 40 gallon. Otos only eat foods you provide well after every scrap of natural food (algae) is gone. You could end up with a starvation problem.

I would highly suggest a minimum of 5, more is better. I have a dozen in my 46. They are extremely social creatures and really find safety in numbers.

Would 5 be too many for my tank?

Are you talking about 12 otos? They will run out of a natural food source really quickly if you have that many in a 40 gallon. Otos only eat foods you provide well after every scrap of natural food (algae) is gone. You could end up with a starvation problem.

No, I was talking about the danios or rasboras. I know I couldn't have that many ottos. :D

5 would not be too many for your tank..... I started off with that many in a 30 gallon prior to upgrading.

Thanks for the clarification on the otos. :flowers:

5 would not be too many for your tank..... I started off with that many in a 30 gallon prior to upgrading.

Thanks for the clarification on the otos. :flowers:

Sure.:D

So, with the stocking list, 5 kuhlis would not overdo it?

10-12 Long fin Zebra danios
5 kuhlis
4-6 corys (2-3")
3 GBRs
Maybe at a later time 3 to 4 ottos

:thanks:

Kuhlis have a very low bioload. With the proper size tank, they will almost always "fit". :)

ohhhhh yeah, almost forgot.....The LFS has bamboo shrimp. They were really cool, but I don't think I could get these with my stocking list above, right?

Back
Top Bottom