400 gallon setup advise please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

williamrandel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have dealt with saltwater predator and reef tanks for about 20 years. The company that I work for has the opportunity to install a 400 gallon ( 72" x 36" x 36") freshwater setup as part of a office interior project. The tank and stand are the only parts that I am confident in my knowledge. With my saltwater background, lighting and filtration for freshwater are not my forte when dealling with freshwater. I would appreciate and input and advise. The only specs that I cannot change are freshwater and the tank size. Thanks in advance.

Planted aquarium or fish only with rock or fake plants? As far as filtration go just remember u want the tank to turn over 10 times per hour or at least close for example 10 gal aquarium u want 100gph filter of better

I'm figuring a 400 Gal is going to need good filtration ... either industrial like what's used in some LFS's like petco /petsmart ... or at least two fluval FX-5's.

You could do a sump with a pump for filtration or with the two fx5

Hi,

Just building a freshwater setup myself, would you be installing a controller on this system? Some sort of plc? Will the tank have a sump?

Currently, we are responsible for install and initial setup. I am planning to use a sump at this point.

Planted aquarium or fish only with rock or fake plants? As far as filtration go just remember u want the tank to turn over 10 times per hour or at least close for example 10 gal aquarium u want 100gph filter of better

I would prefer planted, but due to the clients vision, we will probably move towards FO w/rock or fake aquascape. Thier primary focus is aquaculture and I feel like the livestock will be their focus.

I'm figuring a 400 Gal is going to need good filtration ... either industrial like what's used in some LFS's like petco /petsmart ... or at least two fluval FX-5's.

You could do a sump with a pump for filtration or with the two fx5

Will the FX-5's provide adequate turn over and filtration? Also, are these filters quiet?

With regards to lighting, based on live plants also,

I would go down the lines of

1 full spectrum daylight around 6500k / 930+
1 triphosphor cool white 5000k for color of fish
1 warm white for sunrise 3000k
1 blue led strip for evening light

You could switch these in sequence for real good effect, by using a siemens logo or something simular. As well as many other parts.

Pm if need any further details

Rendering

Here is a quick rendering for one side of the tank. It will be a thru-wall view with the tank installed inside a conference room.

Attachments

• Fish-aquarium.jpg
    Fish-aquarium.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 217
As for the lighting I would go with something around 1wpg beings ur not doing plants you could do something with a couple of accent and a couple of normal bulbs and it would help show the fish off what kind of fish are going in?

As for the filtration again I would go with a stump with a pump I wouldn't go with just the fx-5s but thats just me and because I want more water flow than they have to offer

As for the lighting I would go with something around 1wpg beings ur not doing plants you could do something with a couple of accent and a couple of normal bulbs and it would help show the fish off what kind of fish are going in?

The only answer I have been given to this point in regards to livestock is indigenous species to Alabama.

As for the filtration again I would go with a stump with a pump I wouldn't go with just the fx-5s but thats just me and because I want more water flow than they have to offer

I feel more comfortable using a sump as this is how all of the reef tanks are setup. In the past I have always made them custom/DIY to fit the needs of the saltwater system. I am considering a Wet/Dry for this setup. Any thoughts?

Will the FX-5's provide adequate turn over and filtration? Also, are these filters quiet?

Here's some info on the Fluval FX-5 ...There are other comparable filters, but any larger and you'd probably have to special order a filter.

Advanced, multi-staged canister filtration system providing maximum ---versatility and premium performance for aquariums up to 400 gallons
Self-starting; Fluval Smart Pump Technology provides a quiet and efficient operation
Equipped with Click-Fit Connectors for quick set-up and leak proof maintenance
AquaStop Valve offers an air- and water-tight seal permitting hosing to be disconnected without breaking the vacuum
High capacity canister filters 925 gallons per hour; 3-year warranty.

jcolon said:
Here's some info on the Fluval FX-5 ...There are other comparable filters, but any larger and you'd probably have to special order a filter.

Advanced, multi-staged canister filtration system providing maximum ---versatility and premium performance for aquariums up to 400 gallons
Self-starting; Fluval Smart Pump Technology provides a quiet and efficient operation
Equipped with Click-Fit Connectors for quick set-up and leak proof maintenance
AquaStop Valve offers an air- and water-tight seal permitting hosing to be disconnected without breaking the vacuum
High capacity canister filters 925 gallons per hour; 3-year warranty.

This is true that is exactly what the box says but I wouldn't use just one if I was doing a 400 gal aquarium I use the 205 on my 30 gal to give it more flow it helps make the tank more clear manufactures put the max u can use on a filter IMO a wet dry would be vary nice for this set up I think i would go with that

I don't care what Fluval says on their box a Fx5 as a flow rate of 600.gph with media so filtering a 400g tank with one is recipe for disaster, I'm not knocking the filter since I own three.

For a 400g depending on bioload I would use a large wet/dry sump along with a FX5 at the minimum. I have friends with 300-400g tanks running three FX5's to keep up.

This is true that is exactly what the box says but I wouldn't use just one if I was doing a 400 gal aquarium I use the 205 on my 30 gal to give it more flow it helps make the tank more clear manufactures put the max u can use on a filter IMO a wet dry would be vary nice for this set up I think i would go with that

I agree, that's why I recommended at least two on my earlier post.(y)

HUKIT said:
I don't care what Fluval says on their box a Fx5 as a flow rate of 600.gph with media so filtering a 400g tank with one is recipe for disaster, I'm not knocking the filter since I own three.

For a 400g depending on bioload I would use a large wet/dry sump along with a FX5 at the minimum. I have friends with 300-400g tanks running three FX5's to keep up.

There u go someone that has experience with huge tanks and the fx5 filters

There is alot of knowledge on this site but most people don't keep tanks that large on here, my largest are two 150's and a 180g. The best place for very large tanks and actual experience with filtration is...

MonsterFishKeepers.com

I don't post very often but do look through the cichlid sections daily.

There is alot of knowledge on this site but most people don't keep tanks that large on here, my largest are two 150's and a 180g. The best place for very large tanks and actual experience with filtration is...

MonsterFishKeepers.com

I don't post very often but do look through the cichlid sections daily.

Cool ... took a quick look ... will check it out more later. LOL don't think my tiny Barbs in a 75gal qualify for that site:D.

Back
Top Bottom