40g tank suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcdrichj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I am new to aquariums as well as this forum. I currently have a 40g tank that I just started. Im doing a fishless-cycle after researching the topic of cycling. While the tank and bacteria are doing there thing Im trying to plan my tank. I was looking for advise for different types of fish to put in there new home (after its fully cycled) and some decor advise as well. I will include a picture of my sad looking tank as well.
Thanks hope to hear from you soon!!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

It depends what kind of fish you really want. There are so many out there that we can't really suggest much because it just depends on what kind of tank it will be. So to help us help you, we need to know:

Is this going to be a community tank (a tank with lots of small, peaceful fish), or a tank with larger, more predatory fish?
Will it be planted?
What filter do you have?
How much work are you willing to do (water changes, etc.)
Do you like lots of small fish, or a small amount of big fish?
What qualities do you like: Color, big/small, very active, not very active, hardy, cheap, expensive, rare, etc.?
Do you want them to have babies?
Are you okay with some aggression between fish?

I hope this helps, and :welcome:!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

It depends what kind of fish you really want. There are so many out there that we can't really suggest much because it just depends on what kind of tank it will be. So to help us help you, we need to know:

Is this going to be a community tank (a tank with lots of small, peaceful fish), or a tank with larger, more predatory fish?
Will it be planted?
What filter do you have?
How much work are you willing to do (water changes, etc.)
Do you like lots of small fish, or a small amount of big fish?
What qualities do you like: Color, big/small, very active, not very active, hardy, cheap, expensive, rare, etc.?
Do you want them to have babies?
Are you okay with some aggression between fish?

I hope this helps, and :welcome:!

I would like the tank to be planted. I have an aquaclear 70 filter
. I would do as much work as required for my fish im not concerned with water changes and cleaning... I have the time. Im fine with aggressive fish. But here is where im stumped im not sure if i want a community or large fish. I would like to know pros and cons to different types of tanks. I would like a tank thats interesting to view.
Thanks

I would like the tank to be planted. I have an aquaclear 70 filter
. I would do as much work as required for my fish im not concerned with water changes and cleaning... I have the time. Im fine with aggressive fish. But here is where im stumped im not sure if i want a community or large fish. I would like to know pros and cons to different types of tanks. I would like a tank thats interesting to view.
Thanks

Well, with a 40 gallon, there isn't much you can do for a predator tank, so I think community would be best. If we're talking interesting, than maybe some rainbows would be nice. But I think some of them may need more space than your tank has :ermm:. Have you thought about african cichlids? I think many of them need bigger space, but some are okay with a 40. Of course, with that option, it wouldn't be planted, or at least not much. A south american community tank would be awesome! There are tons of plants from there, and cool fish! Like rams, apistogramma, rummy nose tetra, cardinal, neon, lemon, bleeding heart, and flame tetras. And corydoras too! Just look up some of those and tell me what you think!

There are smaller predatory fish you could have if that's your preference. Google generic terms like 'cichlids' 'tetra' in images and go to pet stores online and see their stock, see what catches your eye and then research them. It'll help you start to narrow things down somewhat.

My first tank was a 40gal community tank which included angels, congo and diamond tetras, and dwarf cichlids. Easy to care for, hardy, intriguing and beautiful. :) I like fishperson's idea, it's relatively similar to my first setup. I have corys now too, since my last cichlid passed away a little less than a year ago. I agree with toad also, in that you should google generic images of these fish to see which ones you like best :)

Back
Top Bottom