44 corner pentagon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have this tank up and running! I wanted to make a post about this tank as well to keep all my threads down to a minimum! I enjoy getting feedback and suggestions from other users! :)

Its been up and running since April 1st, currently housing 2 pieces of driftwood with anubias attached, a fake like tree root, 3 large fake plants, 2 medium fake plants, and 14 neon tetras!

My plans: I'm wanting to remove the fake plants and add live plants! I'm wanting some amazon swords and other full, tall plants... definitely amazon swords... unsure of everythin else atm....

I want to update my light fixture to a T5 HO light...

I was also wanting to add some more fish, not sure what though...I really like bolivian rams, but thinking I might save those for the 55? I also am in love with rasboras and tetras! Lol SO... its a work in progress....

Any feedback is appreciated and welcome! Thank you!

I like Bolivian rams and rummy nosed tetras myself. Would cardinals be redundant ? Definitely , like live plants but can be a head ache when dealing w algae. Anubias is pretty easy for low light. I like the t5 ho idea. Sounds nice.

Bbush said:
I like Bolivian rams and rummy nosed tetras myself. Would cardinals be redundant ? Definitely , like live plants but can be a head ache when dealing w algae. Anubias is pretty easy for low light. I like the t5 ho idea. Sounds nice.

:) thank you!

There are ebay sellers of plants. You can buy packages for low light, medium light aquariums etc. Drs Foster and Smith also sell them. There are also plants for sale on this forum. Even if you don't buy the package you can get an idea of what plants you would like. I have seen large specimen plants in tubes for sale at Petco and Petsmart. SOme of them look like very nice plants but they top out at $10 each.:fish2:

There are ebay sellers of plants. You can buy packages for low light, medium light aquariums etc. Drs Foster and Smith also sell them. There are also plants for sale on this forum. Even if you don't buy the package you can get an idea of what plants you would like. I have seen large specimen plants in tubes for sale at Petco and Petsmart. SOme of them look like very nice plants but they top out at $10 each.:fish2:

I actually bought my anubias from petsmart in one of those tubes.. but they are priced a lot higher than what I have found online for a whole package of different plants! :) I'm going to see what I can find... I never even thought of ebay! Thank you!

Ok... This stocking thing and all the options are about to drive me crazy! I have spent 3 days researching and looking at fish trying to figure out what to stock in this tank! Lol I think its time to call in some experts!

Ok, I know I'm going to change the light fixture, add some amazon swords and possibly java fern for now.. And possibly more plants...

I currently have 14 neon tetras.. I'm trying to figure out what to put in there next! So far I'm thinking about this: I have a 10 gallon with a black skirt and rasbora, they need a new home but I wasn't crazy about moving them to a new tank, I was going to give them to a lfs... I could put 5 or 6 black skirts and 5 or 6 red tails in? I really wanted a couple Bolivian rams but I'm debating on if I want them in this tank or in the 55!

I really liked the pictus catfish I saw at petsmart, but I don't think I could put them in this tank because they are semi aggressive?

So.. What would you stock in here with 14 neons? :)

Ok, I moved, my mother actually us to blame, but to make a long story short.. I've lost all my fish! I never thought I would be so heart broken over fish.. But it hit me hard! So, I set the tank back up and am figuring out what to put in there... I know I want a pair of bolivian rams... I love GBRs but for my first ram, id better start hardy! :) So, any other suggestions to work around the rams? And what should I introduce first, other fish or rams? Thanks in advance!

Andy, it was awful! We moved, but my Mom was helping... To make a long story short, she drained the water, left the fish in bags for a couple hours, by the time they arrived at the new house I couldn't get the tank up and running fast enough... They died.. One by one... :'( I'm still very upset by it! It shouldn't have happened... I had a plan and everything was messed up.. Pretty upsetting! :-/

Mommaof4boys said:
Andy, it was awful! We moved, but my Mom was helping... To make a long story short, she drained the water, left the fish in bags for a couple hours, by the time they arrived at the new house I couldn't get the tank up and running fast enough... They died.. One by one... :'( I'm still very upset by it! It shouldn't have happened... I had a plan and everything was messed up.. Pretty upsetting! :-/

Ya it can happen :( moving tanks are not fun. I hope your staying in the new place for a long time my friend. By the way I never use bags when I move I use buckets more the water the better I say. Plus when you get to where your going you can drop an air line tube in faster then setting up a whole tank. Good luck with all ;)

Andrew McFadden said:
Ya it can happen :( moving tanks are not fun. I hope your staying in the new place for a long time my friend. By the way I never use bags when I move I use buckets more the water the better I say. Plus when you get to where your going you can drop an air line tube in faster then setting up a whole tank. Good luck with all ;)

I wanted to move them in buckets... my mother argued saying that it was only a 15 min drive, they would be fine.... litte did I know that plans were going to change and them not get moved according to the moving plan!! I hate moving.... HATE it! We plan on staying here for 20+ years! Lol

5 harlequin rasbora, 5 black skirt tetras, 5 black neons, and 6 neons! They just had a shipment of GBR's and they were beautiful!!! I literally melted looking at them! I wanted them SO bad!

Tetra1990 said:
All neat fish. What about 1-2 bolo Ian rams and a few Cory catfish for the bottom?

Ill check out the rams... I don't think I've ever seen those. I want some Cories for sure.. but I think ill put them in the 55 since I'm going to have it planted with sand substrate and in the 44 its gravel!

Edit- bolivian rams, I think auto correct or swype got confused.. Lol yes, I've thought about bolivian rams but like gbrs a lot more because of colors and markings! :)

Okay guys, its been awhile since my last fish purchase and I'm itching for something!! LOL All of the fish I purchased last time are doing really well... all have colored up nicely.. although, I have noticed with my black skirts, there is only 1 that gets black, the rest stay dull.. and I'm wondering if that is because the one that actually gets black is the one chasing all the other ones... I thought my old black skirt was just a meanie, apparently that is just their personality. I just done a water change the other day and I'm thinking about removing the driftwood because it keeps crumbling every time I move it. I'm also thinking about changing the gravel to sand and adding a few amazon swords to the tank. I found a light out in the garage while cleaning it out and ended up putting it on there as well, the one that was on there gives off a much whiter glow than the one I found. It is really yellow tinted. I'm thinking about getting a different light for it, but I'd have to purchase a glass top and those are pretty expensive for the pentagon.

Anyways, Back to my original reason for posting, a new addition.... any ideas on what I should put in there? I worry about my pH. It stays right around 8.2 all the time... so what do you guys think would be a good addition to the stock?? :)

you could always hit up home depot or lowes and get a sheet of plexiglass for under 20$ and cut down for a custom fit.

can't answer the PH question..

Back
Top Bottom