45L tank gone cloudy on a "fishless" cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceriffwrdd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I started a fishless cycle this week.. so far all i have done is

Wipe out the inside of the tank with boiled water, washed the gravel through until the water ran clear.
Put in a couple of airstones under the gravel and added a piece of bogwood and a fake reed.

Filled the tank with water treated with de-chlorinator.

I set the filter pump going and the heater and the bubbles.

I'm waiting for the test kit to arrive (should be monday or tuesday) then my mate is going to donate me some bacteria from their tank's filter.

Only problem is, the water's gone a bit misty and the bogwood appears to have what looks like a cobwebby covering, it looks kinda.. fuzzy.

Obv, i'm a total newbie.. but the last time i saw anything like this was an experiment "making" DNA! :D

No fish are in danger, of course, as i have none at present but i would like to know what's causing this webby, milky, fuzziness and is it a bad thing?

Is the water getting tea colored? If so that's tannins leaching from the wood ... perfectly natural, and so is the web like material ... had the same thing with my driftwood.
It should go away on it's own ... some fish may even nibble at it like my Red-tail shark did.

I can second what jcolon said about the red-tail shark. I had one of those and s/he went nuts eating at it.

Last edited:
Have you selected the source of your ammonia yet, for the fishless cycle?

I found some Jeyes "Kleen Off" in a local hardware store. Just waiting for my test kit to arrive before i begin the alchemy.

Back
Top Bottom