46 Gallon Bowfront - Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got home and the ammonia was at zeroish again.

Ammonia: 0-0.25
Nitrites: 2-4ppm (lighter than yesterday)
Nitrates: 40ppm or so

Re-dosed with about 5ppm of ammonia, since it seems to be crushing it pretty quickly.

So, I guess I just keep topping up the ammonia until the nitrites disappear?

Attachments

• IMG_20120712_172551.jpg
    IMG_20120712_172551.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 40
Ok, so I have been testing my nitrites daily and the odd time checking on the nitrates. Today when I did the nitrite test is was initially purple, but after five minutes turned to the pale blue for 0ppm. My nitrates today seemed lower as well, which is pretty strange, no? I shook the hell out of the bottles and did the nitrite test twice with the same result. Does it usually turn purple as soon as the drops touch the water?

Your not getting a 'zero' nitrite reading. If the drops turn purple the second you put them in, your nitrite levels are sky-high. The 'blue' color you are seeing is actually an error when the nitrites reach epidemic proportion & the test can no longer read the level accurately. I would suggest a 100% water change with temp matched, properly conditioned water. Wait 1/2hr & retest your nitrites. If they are still insane, do another 100% water change. Then only dose 2ppm ammonia & lets wait for your nitrite>nitrate bacteria to catch up before increasing the ammonia dose back up to 4ppm. :)

Back
Top Bottom