46 Gallon Cube Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought and set up a 46 gallon cube about 3 weeks ago. My fishless cycle finished and I added a pair of German Blue Rams who are doing well for about a week now, so I am looking for a few stocking ideas that surround around a couple fish I have already. I have 5 Serpae Tetras in a 10 gallon tank that I am looking to move over, and put them in a bigger school. So what do you guys think would be some good tank mates for 4 GBR and probably about 15 Serpae Tetras? I was thinking of 3-5 Albino Cories but I am not sure what else to add. I wanted an Angelfish but kept reading things about Serpaes being nippy to Angels. Does anyone on here have any success putting Serpaes and and Angel together in the same tank? I would think that with a school of 15 they would pretty much keep themselves occupied, but I don't want to create a stressful community for them either. Any thoughts, stocking ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Does anyone know if Serpaes can be kept with an Angelfish in a 46 gallon tank, if I am getting a school of 15 Serpaes to even out any aggression? I really don't want to create a bad situation for the angel, but I think a black angel would look amazing in my tank if I could make it work.

People say certain fish species are "nippy", and they can be. But honestly, it's luck. I'm keeping a pufferfish with 3 angelfish and NO nipping AT all. Puffers are considered one of the most "nippy" fish there is.

I'm also have 7 other puffers with 2 bettas. Again. No nipping.

It's really about luck but honestly I don't ever see any of my fish nipping eachother. I say just go for it.

Watch out for trying 4 Rams. Once they go into breeding mode you may need to move some.

In bigger groups the nippy fish are often better behaved. Angels are a tempting target.

As long as you have plenty of plants and hiding spots Corys might be ok. Breeding Rams get territorial.

Try to leave room for at least 5-6 Corys.

Sounds like a nice tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you guys for the advice! The only reason I was considering the 4 Rams is because I got a pair (that in my inexperience) that I thought were a male and a female, but as their coloration has come in more I realized that they are two females. Will they be ok in there? They seem to be getting along fine, and actually the larger female is protecting the smaller one from the tetras whenever they try to get too close. Do I need two males to put in there for the females, or will I be ok with a pair of females?

Here's how it looks so far:
1kpiZP.jpg

I have a smaller tree root ornament coming to put on the right to give even more cover and add a little more symmetry to the tank, and then I have to add more plants but I think the tank is coming along pretty nicely so far!

And here is the custom background I made for it:
jZjNG8.jpg

Also, if anyone is interested, here are the tank details:

46 Gallon Marineland Frameless Cube Aquarium on a cherry wood stand
Rena Filstar XP2
Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED 24"
Hydor H2Show Volcano Kit

People say certain fish species are "nippy", and they can be. But honestly, it's luck. I'm keeping a pufferfish with 3 angelfish and NO nipping AT all. Puffers are considered one of the most "nippy" fish there is.

I'm also have 7 other puffers with 2 bettas. Again. No nipping.

It's really about luck but honestly I don't ever see any of my fish nipping eachother. I say just go for it.

What kind of puffers.... Dwarf?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom