46g bowfront african tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all is it possible to house then properly. I don't have enough room for a bigger tank so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've heard alot of conflicting advise so hopefully some Africa cichlid owners can help out.

Lol ok.

I was thinking about maybe some demosoni and yellow zebras. Will any peacocks fit i really like the albino!

Agreed peacocks are peaceful and won't hold up to the aggressiveness of the others and get stressed out. Also with them being stressed they won't be showing there beautiful colors.

Stick with one species of Cichlid and you'll be fine. A mixed bag can be more trouble then worth.

I have a melting pot and just like the city my melting pot don't always agree with one and other and yes there have been deaths. And I'm a New Yorker so I can say this. It's not always gonna work so why try it. It's not fun picking out dead fish everyday because the west side don't want the east side near them. Or the south end has beef with the north. There's only so many places they can go before one meets the other.

I rambled and hope it somewhat made sense. I see the link has already been posted. It's a GREAT article and that should get you started.

Trust me! It's not worth the headaches in the long run.

Good luck

The Con

Some wouldn't agree but you could do a single breeding group without issues for the most part imo. 1 show male and 4-5 females should be a good group

Mrc8858 said:
Some wouldn't agree but you could do a single breeding group without issues for the most part imo. 1 show male and 4-5 females should be a good group

I would agree as long as they are all under 5"

Andrew McFadden said:
That's what I would do with the peacocks. It will make less aggression without a female. I think the post above was talking about mbuna

I was actually referring to peacocks. It's nice seeing an all male display but none of them can compare to a dominant male with females only imo

A mbuna group could work to if you pick a less aggressive kind like labs

Andrew McFadden said:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

I posted this above aswell and no you shouldn't mix them in that small of a tank. Or your peacocks will be stressed and not show their full color.

That's not entirely true but there are always exceptions. I've seen a few male peacocks that are highly aggressive. The father of my OB has been housed with adult red devils in a 75 and a highly stocked 29g (yes I said 29) of almost all mbuna which he was always on full display with his own territory. Obviously he bred too since I got his son which is also super aggressive :)

Just thought I should also point out both those setups are terrible ideas lol

Back
Top Bottom