46g stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANGAR

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, going to be stocking my tank soon, with tons of plants lemme know your opinion if you think I'm overstocking or asking for trouble with the combinations of fish.

6 red eye tetra
5-6 Cory's
1 angel,
2-4 German blue rams
Was hoping for a small pleco, maybe rubber lip, bristle nose or pitbull

I obviously would add them all at once, just wanted to get your opinion.
I also have some guppies I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In that size tank you could probably have a larger group of the tetras if you're interested.

Not sure about angel and ram compatability, no experience there.

Plecs are interesting and I've kept them in the past but they are definitely poop machines. Just something to know before you make final decisions :)

In that size tank you could probably have a larger group of the tetras if you're interested.

Not sure about angel and ram compatability, no experience there.

Plecs are interesting and I've kept them in the past but they are definitely poop machines. Just something to know before you make final decisions :)

Do you think that would be too many fish for the tank though?

Not at all IMO. Try it on aqadvisor and see what it'll say so you can get more of an idea. I think the ram and angel won't have a problem as rams are more bottom dwellers and angels like the middle and top of the tank. In my experience with red eye tetras, they're real skittish. But let me know how it all works out for you.

Personally I'd say no but I tend to overstock. Also depends on what type of filter you're running and how often you do water changes.

I would definitely add more fish to that not overstocked or fully stocked at all. 5 or 6 corys will be nice not sure if the Rams and Angels will be ok together ( kinda depends on personality), maybe add 5-6 rummy nose tetra look very nice peaceful and don't nip.

Also I've heard red eye tetras are fin nippers so I wouldn't keep them with Angels. Maybe some other type of fish that wouldn't get eaten or nip. Harlequin rasboras are beautiful easy and don't nip find from my experience. Other types of rasboras should work too.

Okay so what about apistos? Could a put a cacatoides or two in with an angel? I'm moving out next weekend so in going to have the tank dirted and planted within the next two weeks so expect some pictures!!!

Just ordered my plants off dustins fish tank!
Crinum calimistratum
Luwigia repens
African tiger lotus!
Water lettuce
And I ordered his clay because it means you don't have to dose iron!

Hey guys, going to be stocking my tank soon, with tons of plants lemme know your opinion if you think I'm overstocking or asking for trouble with the combinations of fish.

6 red eye tetra
5-6 Cory's
1 angel,
2-4 German blue rams
Was hoping for a small pleco, maybe rubber lip, bristle nose or pitbull

I obviously would add them all at once, just wanted to get your opinion.
I also have some guppies I like.

Your tank seems to be getting off to a good start.

I would say the Cories are fine. They are the least of any worries.

The Angels and Rams should work. Ive kept a pair of GBR and an semi-adult Angel in a 10 gallon before, for a month. No fin nipping, no chasing. I think it depends on the personality of the Angel.

Now, the Red-Eyes may create an issue. From first-hand experience i can say they are nippers, even in schools of 10+. In years past i kept them with a few African Cichlids. While the cichlids were under 4 inches, the Red-Eyes actually ganged and bit the Africans fins. This was in a school of 8.

A more peaceful option that has the same red head and gray body could be the Rummynose. They would be a better fit i think. Much less aggression and in my opinion the compliment the centerpiece fishes much more nicely.

I would do:

1x Black Veil or Koi Angel
1x Pair of GBR
8x Panda Cory
10x Rummynose Tetra
1x Bristlenose Pleco

Thats a pretty fully stocked tank, but there shouldn't be too many issues. If you want, and i would do this, you could takeout the Pleco and add in about 4 Roseline/Denison Barbs. They are active and colorful. You could replace the GBR for a type of Apisto as well.

To me, the only problem is the Red-Eye Tetras.

Im also against adding them ALL at once, thats a big jump in bioload. I would do the hardier species first. Cories and Pleco, then the Angel and Rummynose (or other) and finally the GBR. Doing it gradually will be better than a massive, immediate bioload increase.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Yeah so I've pretty much thrown out the idea is a pleco. Read too many reviews about the bio loads and them creating problems in people's tanks.

And I really like the look of the red eye tetra! and dislike how the rummy nose look. I was thinking of getting 10 instead of 6.
But what are some other tight schooling tetras that will kind of pop in a planted tank that won't nip?

I'm thinking 2-3 Siamese algae eaters instead of the barbs for algae control?

Also I've got about 25-30 crowns of dwarf sagg common in from dallascowboys from AA!!!

Yeah so I've pretty much thrown out the idea is a pleco. Read too many reviews about the bio loads and them creating problems in people's tanks.

And I really like the look of the red eye tetra! and dislike how the rummy nose look. I was thinking of getting 10 instead of 6.
But what are some other tight schooling tetras that will kind of pop in a planted tank that won't nip?

Also I've got about 25-30 crowns of dwarf sagg coming in from dallascowboys from AA!!!

Also I've got about 25-30 crowns of dwarf sagg coming in from dallascowboys from AA!!!

Ok!

So throwing out the Pleco is a good choice in terms of bioload, as they are giant maelstroms of poop.

You shouldn't really need SAEs for algae, its pretty easy to wipe off and i don't think it would be work it, unless you like them for fish instead of algae control. Oto Cats are small, cute, and absolutely destroy algae, and I've heard that they love a good breakfast of diatoms... So unless you are really attached to SAE, do Otos or nothing, IMO of course :)

Side-note: Otos are a bit difficult to acclimate and very difficult to switch onto commercial foods. It can be done, said out of experience.

I will list a few species of Tetra that I've had experience with and that can work well in the tank. Listed from most peaceful to most aggressive, IME.
-Cardinals (may get eaten by adult Angel)
-Neons (may also get eaten by full grown Angel)
-Black Neons (grow a bit bigger than regular Neons, should be fine)
-Lemon Tetras
-Diamond Tetras
-Silvertip Tetras

In schools of 7+ these should all be ok.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

So what are red eye tetra not good with? GBR or Angels?

Angels. Biting the fins.

Im not sure if they would be ok with GBR either, as the Tetras can actually grow larger than the GBR... So they might stress it out a lot.

A smaller, calmer, more peaceful Tetra is your best bet.

Have you looked into any types of Rasboras? And possibly Cherry Barbs? I don't know firsthand about the Barbs, but they might work in a larger school.

Back
Top Bottom