5.5 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this site and real fish raising (I kept a few bettas here and there). I was wondering if my 5.5 gallon tank could fit:

-one dwarf gourami
-two Mickey Mouse platies
-a few ghost shrimp
-one nerite snail
-maybe one or two anacharis plants
-a little duckweed for my gourami (I heard they like floating plants)

And also, would I have space for maybe one more small fish?

The tank I am planning to buy includes a filter, but it is too strong for these fish (I think) so I am planning to disable it and install a sponge filter instead. Is that okay? I also have a heater that is set to keep the water at 75-78 degrees, which I found is perfect for the fish I am planning to get.

Thank you all for your help :thanks:

That is much too overstocked. The dwarf gourami, IMO, should be in at least a 10 gallon tank.
A single Platy would 100% stock a 10 gallon tank by itself with its large bio load.
Nerite snails need a 10+ gallon tank that is mature with algae and bio film since they don't eat prepared foods.
I would get an AquaClear 10 filter for the tank. And a better heater to keep the tank at a steady 78 degrees.

5.5g i believe is too small for dwarf gourami. Even for the 2 platys 5.5 is too small. you need at least 10g for them.
Try using the website aqadvisor.com to give you idea what can fit into the 5.5g.
I know for a fact betta's are a good choice for a 5.5g.

Your tank is rather small, unfortunately limiting what you can comfortably stock it with. A betta is the most common for tanks under 10gal, the fish you'd like would unfortunately need larger. I know that's pretty disappointing to hear :/

However if you're looking for something different, I'd suggest just off the top of my head looking at the following: a small school of dwarf chili rasbora, small school of celestial pearl danios, or shrimp (red cherry shrimp can make quite an attractive small tank, especially when planted).

You'd only be able to keep one of any of them though. I don't have any experience other than research though, and it's suggested 10 gallons may still sometimes be preferable for the schools. But if your tank is longer, rather than taller, you might be able to do it. Someone please correct me if my suggestions are a huge mistake though :)

Good luck with stocking your tank, and as I'm sure you know just research anything thoroughly before adding it to your aquarium.

You could easily pull that off in a 10 gallon, however that would be too cramped for the fish in your size tank. If you are really set on that stock, why not consider upgrading? Setting up a 10 gallon tank is relatively inexpensive.

Also, you don't need to worry about adding too many plants. You could add as many as you like as long as you consider their needs as well such as light and nutrient requirements.

So if I just switched my tank for a 10 gallon tank, everything would work out? If I get a 10 gallon tank, which is better:

-Grreat Choice™ 10 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit
-Top Fin® 10 Gallon Glass Aquarium

Also, should I get a sponge filter or a stronger one? If I get the 10 gallon tank, should I add more fish or is my list perfectly fine?

Yes, a 10 gallon should work just fine. Any of the 10 gallon tanks should work. A regular HOB (hang on back) filter should be just fine as well, and probably be a better choice than a sponge filter.

I would not add any more fish to the list. Those fish would completely stock your tank IMO.

Back
Top Bottom