5.5 Gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 20g tank and was looking to add a couple 5.5g tanks. I would like to make the most of them and not harm any fish in doing so. A lot of people suggest betas. Can anything be put in with the beta? Also, I was thinking it would be nice to have either invertebrates or amphibians, any suggestions?

I'm not sure what people will say about adding African Dwarf Frogs in a 5.5 gallon. I have a 10 gallon tank with a male betta and I'm eventually going to add some little ADFs!

I'm not sure what people will say about adding African Dwarf Frogs in a 5.5 gallon. I have a 10 gallon tank with a male betta and I'm eventually going to add some little ADFs!
. Ive been thinking about ADFs. I've always loves frogs and would love to get started with them. If anyone has them, I'd live some suggestions.

To get the tanks started in a cycle I was thinking of using water I take from my 20 gal during a water change. Any thoughts?

To get the tanks started in a cycle I was thinking of using water I take from my 20 gal during a water change. Any thoughts?

You are better off taking some of the filter media from the 20g and putting in the filter of the 5.5g. Tank water will not transfer a sufficient amount of the beneficial bacteria (BB) needed for the cycle.

The water doesn't really have a lot of the bacteria, though the old tank water will help. Get some pieces from the filter media or gravel or some object that lots of water come in contact with... the best is a piece of media from your current filter and put it in the new one

Thank you fresh2o and golfer. I'll use some of the bio max from my AC filter.

I just ordered my ADFs yesterday. Waiting for them to get here!! I will let you know how it goes. Not sure how big of a tank they need, but I did read that they don't do well in a really deep tank

I just ordered my ADFs yesterday. Waiting for them to get here!! I will let you know how it goes. Not sure how big of a tank they need, but I did read that they don't do well in a really deep tank
. Please do keep me updated. Having a tank not too deep is something I've read over and over. I would like to keep a min. of 2 since I hate putting anything alone. I'd like to go 3 if it's not too much for a 5.5g.

I am pretty much sold on the idea of the ADF. I'm thinking of two 5.5g tanks, so what about invertebrates for the other? Any suggestions?

I just wanted to add that I'm new to invertebrates, so something on the easier side to care for would be best.

Will 2 or 3 ADFs and 1 male Betta be compatible in 5.5g tank? Is this too much for this size tank?

Instead of a couple 5.5s why not one 10 that way you have more frogs and room for your fish. Would prob only cost less too.

I don't know about the frogs but don't be surprised if the betta eats the rcs. I'm not saying it definitely will but it could. Mine did.

Back
Top Bottom