5 gallon betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really want to start a Betta tank. I want it to be planted, and I have a light for it. I'm not sure how powerful it us ATM. I think I'm going to have some cripts( not sure how to spell it), a few swords, and some Xmas moss. For substrate I'm torn between gravel, or sand. I have both, so ill think of that later. I'm not sure what type of Betta I'm going to get, but I will get it once the tank is cycled. I'm thinking of getting an apple snail, and 2 African dwarf frogs. As for filtration I have an old whisper 2-10 gallon filter that is seeded, so I'm set on that. Any comments regarding the tank mates, and substrate would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

IMO Sand would be better with the African Dwarf Frogs. The food will get stuck between pieces of gravel and make it hard for the frogs to eat. Make sure they are getting enough food by feeding them specifically. The sand will allow the food to sit on the surface, so it will be easier for them to feed.

Sounds like it will be great :) Good luck :)

Thank you, I'm torn between black sand, or playsand. Should I get 2 or 1 frogs? And since I want the tank to be planted should I get soil, and if so, what kind?

I think with a decent water changing schedule, you could probably manage the two frogs. Not sure whether the apple snail will be pushing it or not. Two frogs would be ideal, because they do like company, however can live alone

I have a plant substrate. It is one of the cheaper ones and to be honest, I don't know whether it makes much difference. I am not experienced with plants, I only have them and hope they will survive :D

Good size tank!

Ok, so I wouldn't do a betta and 2 ADF in a 5g and an apple snail as well. Way too much. ADFs and betas sometimes get along, in a 10g... Apple snails are HUGE waste producers. Honestly I'd look at nerite snails and shrimp. They're way cool and would be great tank mates for a 5g.

If you want to do plants, what kinds? The type of plants that you want to keep can effect the substrate to use. If you want some higher demanding plants I'd go for eco-complete, flourite, or sand with root tabs. If you want to try the soil capped, use Miracle Grow Organic Mix with a sand cap.

Okay I think I'm going to do. Betta, and some small snails, maybe a couple ghost shrimp. I think I'm going to get the soil you described, and sand. Do I even need soil with the plants I described in my first post?

Well, if you're only doing crypts, swords (some get REALLY big, so RESEARCH before you buy), and xmas moss don't need the soil. However, crypts and swords greatly benefit from root tabs if you go with only sand.

I dose liquid ferts weekly, and I have noticed a big improvement in all my plants. What kind of soil is available at a home improvement store like Lowes.
My lfs doesn't have any soil, so I think I'm going to do a 1" layer of soil, and 1-1 1/2" of sand or gravel.

I got my soil from home depot for 6.99. You want 1:2 ratio for soil to sand/gravel. Just do a decent amount of PWCs the first month or so. On my 2.5 with soil I do a 25% PWC every other day to make sure nothing is coming out that could hurt my betta, so far no issues:)

I do wc like that alkready, so that's OK. What soil did you get?

okay thanks, ill check it out. is there anything special i have to do when i add it?

gman42 said:
okay thanks, ill check it out. is there anything special i have to do when i add it?

I just water it down, try to get the floating sticks out and make it more compact.

okay sounds good, ill start the tank in a week or so, so check back on this thread, and ill keep you guys up to date. :)

gman42 said:
I really want to start a Betta tank. I want it to be planted, and I have a light for it. I'm not sure how powerful it us ATM. I think I'm going to have some cripts( not sure how to spell it), a few swords, and some Xmas moss. For substrate I'm torn between gravel, or sand. I have both, so ill think of that later. I'm not sure what type of Betta I'm going to get, but I will get it once the tank is cycled. I'm thinking of getting an apple snail, and 2 African dwarf frogs. As for filtration I have an old whisper 2-10 gallon filter that is seeded, so I'm set on that. Any comments regarding the tank mates, and substrate would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Ok well if you are going to put other fish with a Betta you want to get a female Betta and stick with fish that are not fin nippers. Good luck and I hope to see pics

Back
Top Bottom