5 gallon cycle commenced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredenj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just finished setting up my 5 gallon, cycle has just started. I am feeding the tank and used some bacteria supplement for my fishless cycle. I wanted to get an African dwarf frog but they don't sell them at my local petsmart, it might be because of my county, or it might be my state. I'm not sure if I want to do something new and fill it halfway and have a terrarium with maybe some kind of frog or something but I'm not sure how to make that happen. The whole reason I want a terrarium is so I can have different species living with each other although the fire belly toads that they do have at my petsmart I think are toxic to fish. Anyways, if I don't do that I'm probably getting two dwarf gouramis and a shrimp. Or maybe just a few tetras as I have had two gouramis in this 5 gallon before and one didn't make it so maybe I overloaded it. This tank may be small but I still want to make sure it is top notch. No live plants at the moment because I only have like a 15 watt fluorescent light, which I probably could get away with some sword plants since my tank gets some sunlight as well. But it's cool I've got some really good décor anyways. Will post pictures if I can soon. (y)

Last edited:
Will two dwarf gouramis be too much for a 5 gallon tank?

any other than just tetra stocking suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Does that mean I could still have one dwarf gourami? any other than just tetra stocking suggestions are greatly appreciated. Can I have low light hardy plants in my tank during the cycle and what will that do in regards to the cycle. How many watts of fluorescent light will I need in addition to a bit of indirect sunlight for hardy low light plants?

will regular aquarium gravel be suitable substrate for plants?

Gravel works fine for plants. It has no nutrients so you have to use fertilizer tabs for rooted plants.

One dwarf gourami is OK but I'd choose a betta instead. Dwarf gouramis like to swim and a five has very little room for swimming. Bettas are much more inclined to chill. So, I'd do low light, smallish plants to not overwhelm the scale (anubias Nana is cool!) and the prettiest male betta you can find. Some will tolerate shrimp or snails while others won't but those would be the best tankmate choices. Either way, don't add the shrimp/snails until the tank is a few months old. The betta can go in as soon as it's cycled.

I just don't want my betta to sit in a corner like a big dummy.

I'd rather get like 3 tetras that at least do something, even though it's just a 5.

Give him a mirror and he'll flare like crazy. Or go all shrimp. Those are interesing to watch and there are colorful ones available.

I have two ADF and a male betta in my five gallon. They are all very active and fun to watch. I've heard the mirror thing is stressful for bettas, though I've never tried it.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom