5 gallon freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I'm (almost) new to keeping fish and would like to get opinions on starting up.

I have a five gallon tank with nothing in it yet. What kind of fish or fishes would you suggest? I've done reaserch, but it's seems rather contradictaory often.

I was thinking of:

- 2 or 3 white cloud minnow, or
- 2 guppies, or
- 1 betta, or
- 3 danois, or
- 3 Tetra

But maybe the group fish will be only happier in a bigger group and tank?

I know that 5 gallon in small, but it's the best I can do right now.

Thank you in advance.

Ryna

Ryna,

Walcome to AA!!!!!!

You seem to be thinking the right direction, I have a Betta and 2 panda corys in a five gal hex.

Make sure to read the stickys in this section their is alot of good information for the 1st tank in there. Please make sure to cycle the tank first. that is explained in the stickys

Again welcome to AA

Welcome aboard!!!

Betta would be your best bet. They are very easy to care for for begginers.

Personally, i think guppies are kindof hard to care for so could i suggest 2 sunset coral dwarf platies. THey sell them at petsmart.

I actually wouldent recommend schooling fish, but it is up to you. You could keep 4 neon tetras.

Make sure you have filter and a heater. Good luck

Oh yes, and make sure the tank is cycled.

I keep a betta and a l/f gold danio in a 1.5 gallon tank. I know thats a little cramped but I intended it to be only temporary but the two have seemed to fallen for each other. The danio looked like it was being stressed to much by my other 8 when I first got it cause it looked sickly, so I threw him in the 1.5 gallon tank with the betta... now when I tried takin him out and putting him back in with the other danios... the betta just sits at the bottom so I put the danio back in and they are back to swimmin around again.

Nik

I have a small school of pristella tetras in my 5 gallon, but it is also heavily planted. What type of 5 gallon do you have? If you haven't already bought a tank, take a look at the Eclipse or Regent tanks at the LFS or Walmart. I have a 5 gallon hexagon with the in-hood filter, I replaced the incandescent bulb with a 10 watt screw in fluorescent and can successfully grow some easy low light plants in there. I really enjoy this tank.

Good luck with your tank and keep asking questions here on AA!

My tank:
P1010236.JPG

That heater looks huge in there! :) Very nice plants though, especially the one on the left!

Just an FYI, the Eclipse Hex5 should come with a 10W mini-CF bulb now instead of the incandescent. I know mine did.

Thank you for replying.

I've narrowed down by choices to either

white clouds - because they're so beautiful, don't need a heater to be happy and like lots of plants, which I want any way

tetras - because there is so many different varities to choose from, and they are mostly pretty

Betta is other choice, but I'd rather watch fish interact together than be alone.

ps. nice tank

Back
Top Bottom