5 gallon help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@MisterPenguin4, is there any good chance the platy can survive with ONLY some shrimp in a 5 gallon? Because my platy is fully matured and adult and is probably close to the age of dying. I don't know how old he was when I got him, but now he is fully grown and has been living in the 1 gallon for a month and only got sick once, and that was when I accidentally overcrowded him with 2 other platy, which died, and since then, he's been happy and healthy.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I was stupid enough to put my male betta in a 1.5 gal with 2 platys and they all lived for 2 and a half years, or about that. I know that's not good for a betta, but platys usually only live that long. So any tank upgrade is a plus. And it's good you're trying to get a bigger tank. At least he won't be in a one gal anymore.

Just because you have seen it doesn't mean it is right...as you said you are 13 years old....which to me means you don't have a full knowledge of how things work....you shove a fish in a small place it looks fully mature but in reality you can't stunt the growth...this does not mean just in length of the outside...but it's internal organs as well.

you came here asking a question and everyone is trying to answer it and give you really good advice......please don't act like you can school everyone here when most of them have been doing this much longer than you have been alive. hear their advice and use the newly found information. yes a molly/platy can grow in a 1 gallon...BUT i have to stress it they need room to swim just like as a child you need room to run and play..otherwise you will end up fat lazy sitting on a couch and dying of organ failure from who knows what illness diabetes, liver failure, high cholesterol, kidney failure etc....

even with daily water changes it won't stop the stunted growth. like i mentioned before you should put that platy in the 5 gal maybe 1 or 2 guppies and call that good for now.

OH by the way platys mollies and guppies won't cross breed....where ever you got that info is wrong....otherwise i along with many others would have hybrids all over the place....different species can't breed, the genetic make up says

Just because you have seen it doesn't mean it is right...as you said you are 13 years old....which to me means you don't have a full knowledge of how things work....you shove a fish in a small place it looks fully mature but in reality you can't stunt the growth...this does not mean just in length of the outside...but it's internal organs as well.

you came here asking a question and everyone is trying to answer it and give you really good advice......please don't act like you can school everyone here when most of them have been doing this much longer than you have been alive. hear their advice and use the newly found information. yes a molly/platy can grow in a 1 gallon...BUT i have to stress it they need room to swim just like as a child you need room to run and play..otherwise you will end up fat lazy sitting on a couch and dying of organ failure from who knows what illness diabetes, liver failure, high cholesterol, kidney failure etc....

even with daily water changes it won't stop the stunted growth. like i mentioned before you should put that platy in the 5 gal maybe 1 or 2 guppies and call that good for now.

OH by the way platys mollies and guppies won't cross breed....where ever you got that info is wrong....otherwise i along with many others would have hybrids all over the place....different species can't breed, the genetic make up says so.

Yes they can, both are in the phoecilidae family. Which allows the sperm to successfully fertilize the eggs. Where as if a fish with the xiphophorus gene (platys and swordtails) can't because the genetic make up says so. Do your homework before giving out advice ;)

I've done research the past week and I've learned a lot, thanks guys! When I first bought fish, I thought "Eh, let's give him this little tank and let's get 3 of these (platy) and they have enough space to swim a bit and they have water.

P.S. I made a mistake, I get that, but you guys don't be jerks about it. Geez.

Are you serious!!!!!!!

You're the one being a jerk!!!!!!

:banghead:

OH by the way platys mollies and guppies won't cross breed....where ever you got that info is wrong....otherwise i along with many others would have hybrids all over the place....different species can't breed, the genetic make up says so.

You say he's 13 so he doesn't have full knowledge of things work, now you can't tell me that is not biased. You can't measure someones intelligence by there age. That's just wrong. Now I agree with you on the stunted growth, hormones will be stuck in a box, with no where to release new ones, That allow them to grow. this is an advice forum, not an opinion forum.

OH by the way platys mollies and guppies won't cross breed....where ever you got that info is wrong....otherwise i along with many others would have hybrids all over the place....different species can't breed, the genetic make up says

Look, I know he/she was wrong about what they said, but just because someone is 13 doesn't mean they don't care or know about anything and just want to cram fish in a tank. I am 13 also, and I may not know as much as Rivercats and Brian_Nano12g, and some of the other very experienced people on this website, but I think I know how things work pretty well. So that really wasn't cool. :(

I'm 13 as well so it's not the age that's the problem it is the personality and how they were raised...

Yes they can, both are in the phoecilidae family. Which allows the sperm to successfully fertilize the eggs. Where as if a fish with the xiphophorus gene (platys and swordtails) can't because the genetic make up says so. Do your homework before giving out advice ;)

It's actually VERY rare for the two to interbreed... Don't be mean ;)

Also, stick the platy in the 5 gal with an AC20 or 10 filter, a heater, and be done with it. A single platy overstocks a 5 gal, so that's all you should do... You just need to get him out of that bowl.

mollies and guppies can cross breed, and platies and swordtails can

It wasn't intended to be mean. Just letting people know. I've been given false information, and most of the time it doesn't turn out to well.

And mine breed all the time. I've had fry, although I'm not too sure if there guppy Molly hybrids yet, too small to tell.

Also, stick the platy in the 5 gal with an AC20 or 10 filter, a heater, and be done with it. A single platy overstocks a 5 gal, so that's all you should do... You just need to get him out of that bowl.

My temperature is fine, so no heater, but the filter and tank, will do! Thanks for the info! I'm sure this overstocking horribly won't happen for me again!

Back
Top Bottom