5 gallon tank, just getting started.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrainerRed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yeah yeah, I know... the Fluval Chi is an overpriced tank sold to people who don't know anything about fish (At least, that's what my fishy friend told me.) My mom bought it for my little brother because he was "lonely" one weekend while the rest of us went camping, which is the worst reason I've ever heard to take on such a massive responsibility. >.>

Now that 7 fish have died, I'm taking matters into my own hands and maybe, just maybe I can get this tank looking decent.

The only fish I've owned before this was a beta named Goldy (She was purple) and that was about 13 years ago. My aforementioned friend (she played Pokemon, I had no idea she had 6 tanks until recently...) has been helping me out. With this awesome community backing me, everything might just turn out for the best.

The tank is clean, the fish aren't dead, and now I'm wondering about tank mates and plants, and also gravel bottom vs any other bottom. It's a little tank, so I'm pretty sure live plants are out of the question. Of course, there are a ton of things I don't know about fish and how to keep them happy, so I'll take any advice I can get. :3

Welcome to the forum.

That's a lovely small tank, the key word being small. ;)

What fish do you have in there now? Knowing that, we can help you with further stocking, if appropriate.

I just read your other thread. Sadly, the black skirt tetras are not a good species for this tank. They actually get very large for tetras, and they also require 6-8 minimum in their school.

How about a shrimp tank?

Do you have a test kit?

LyndaB is right... The black skirts definately need more space. Depending on if they are the long-finned variety, they can get between 2 and three inches. They also are heavy schoolers and quick- they need swimming room!

A shrimp tank would look pretty cool, so would a betta tank. Ive got a male crowntail , four ghost shirmp, and a snail in my 5 gallon tank.

I knew we should have done more research before buying the skirts >.> I do not have a test kit, nor do I even know where I would go about finding one. I'm kind of scared to go back to the local Petsmart, they were NOT nice to me about getting a replacement bulb for my Gecko. ;_;

I actually have another tank that COULD be set up, but I'd need to set it up for cheap. 12 in by 8 in by 8 in (736 cubic inches I think? So that's... only like, 3 gallons 0_0 ...Eh, but I can't actually measure it right now, it was just a guesstimate...), but I don't know how I'd do that for cheap, if I even did go for that.

I really like the Crowntail. What kind of snail do you have, and what would that kind of tank look like?

I knew we should have done more research before buying the skirts >.>

I do not have a test kit, nor do I even know where I would go about finding one.

It's always a great idea to do your research PRIOR to purchase. As you go along in this hobby, you'll gather lots of information about many different species. Then you'll be well-armed to stock a tank. ;)

You can easily go on-line to order the API master kit. kensfish.com has them for about $23.

Can you at least bring a water sample to your friend and have them test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

My friend lives in Canada, she's been helping me from the internet :3 But I bring water samples to my local non-petsmart store (Pet Supermarket) whenever I buy crickets. I'll ask them to write everything down when I go in later today.

I did some research, I knew that 4-6 Tetras would be ok for a small tank, but I was... rushed at the fish store to pick one, so I just asked for cheapest non-neon tetra there.

EDIT: WOW I was WAY off. It's actually 20 in. by 10 in. by 12 in. So.... it's actually a 10 Gallon tank. That's way more significant than 3 gallons XD That's a bit embarrassing.

Yeah, remind me to never measure anything with paper again >.>

What kind of snail should I get/How should I set up a 10 gallon for cheap? My mom thinks it would be easier to set up an enitrley new ecosystem than it would be to return 2 fish >.> I love her to death but, I have no faith in her reasoning.

Ive got a golden mystery snail. Heres my 5 gallon...

img_1634095_0_5308ab77ea49cb8db557ca078154af9f.jpg

And heres my male crowntail. I scooped him out when I was cleaning the tank because he cant stand the siphon.. He jumps all over the place and tries biting my fingers!

img_1634095_1_fb1ad13b3cc9cf84ceaab56bd92c1edf.jpg

Wow, your tank is so much prettier than mine :3 and such a cute fishy ^.^

I'll look out for mystery snails. I'm sold on the Crowntail (They're absolutely gorgeous!) and I had my brothers at Ghost Shrimp. Is it bad manners to copy someones stock? :/

(Need to get that 10 gallon together! *reads through other threads*)

EDIT: After researching and talking to my fishy friend, we've settled on the AquaClear20 filter for the 10g, and the stock will look something like...
6 tetras, 1 centerpiece (a Dwarf or Honey Gourami), and maybe 5 corydoras catfish.

3 Black Skirts and 3 Black Phantoms ok? Or is mixing bad?

Also, she said it was OK to hold off on adding gravel, decor, etc as long as I add them in eventually, but I like to get second opinions on everything so... ???

EDIT2: Apparently I can't edit thread titles. >.> but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing worth making a new thread about. New members need not spam :3

I wouldnt do that many cory's in only a 10 gallon tank. They get to be about 3 inches a piece. Thats just my opinion, though.

I would prefer to get everything in there that you want in there before you add too many fish. Mostly because I hate scaring the little guys that badly, but also... If anything is going to go wrong with new gravel or new decos, Id prefer to know before I start to add too many fish.

Yeah, I was gonna add them in a few at a time. First the 2 skirts I have, then the next 4 tetras, then the Dwarf Gourami, then 3-5 Catfishys. 3 seems like a better number than 5 to me personally.

Hopefully I'll have most of the gravel/decos in the tank before I get the Dwarf. :3 You guys are super helpful by the way :D The best ^_^

I can't offer much help on stocking the tank... In fact, I'm stalking this thread to see what I can put in my own 5 gallon. ;) But I can tell you that the Cory catish are AMAZING fish. I have 2 (I used to have 6, but my albinos died on me (turns out the albinos are a harder fish to take care of) and one of my peppers I found belly-up as well.) and they are the sweetest things! In fact, one came out for me today when I was taking pictures and practically begged to get a picture taken!!! :D

img_1635310_0_5a1ceff7f6000ad91a7d1b0186bd8989.jpg

Aaaw, how cute ^_^ I saw 3 at my good LFS, I'm kind of excited about getting them :3

Anything important I need to know about em?

PS: Got a filter and heater today, marineland stelathpro shatterproof heater (50w) and an AquaClear20. I know the AquaClear is good, but I wanted to double check with everyone about the heater.

EDIT: Just to be clear, it's not one of the recalled units. I've seen some pretty sketch stuff about their heaters though, so just wanted to double check.

Sorry for the double post >.<;;

Apparently my Mom decided to veto the ghost shrimp >.> The betta and mystery snail are fine, but apparently the ghost shrimp "look like a bunch of little mistakes" 0_o I thought they were cute... >.>

I'm assuming it's either ghost shrimp or no ghost shrimp in the 5g, but if there are any other options for such a small tank, I'd love to hear 'em :D

Uhh... Important things to know.... From what I've heard, their fins are sharp... also watch your heater, make sure you have a thermometer. I went in one day and my water was at 82! I was a few degrees away from having fish soup!!! Ha! Uhh... the corys have a good range of temperature from 75-82 F (24-28 C). This also varies on the breed of cory you get. Here's a good website I found about the temps, water PH levels, gender, breeding, etc. of different breeds of corys.

Catfish - Corydoradinae [Corydoras Catfish]

How about other species of FW shrimp? Red cherry shrimp are quite attractive. They could become betta snacks though if there is not a lot of cover for them...

They'd probably be betta snacks DX thanks though :3

Also, great site Sarah E ^_^

Sorry for the double post >.<;;

Apparently my Mom decided to veto the ghost shrimp >.> The betta and mystery snail are fine, but apparently the ghost shrimp "look like a bunch of little mistakes" 0_o I thought they were cute... >.>

I'm assuming it's either ghost shrimp or no ghost shrimp in the 5g, but if there are any other options for such a small tank, I'd love to hear 'em :D

Ghost shrimps are neat. I have 5 each in my 2 10-gallon tanks. They look great "flying" all over the tank or taking huge "kangaroo" hops along the floor of the tank and are great cleaners, eating the leftover foods and/or fish poop. Only trouble we have is finding them in the tank since they're like ghosts. ;)

Back
Top Bottom