50 gallon Freshwater Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsnuffaluff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I have a few lighting questions. Right now I have a bare tank, and am planning to prepare plants and fishless cycle before moving forward. I consider myself a newbie but somewhat knowledgeable! So any help you can offer would be good. Here are my specs:

50 gallon freshwater (48x12x20)
Whisper 10-30i filter (I bought this for my 10gal and switched it over. it was cheap, don't judge me!) and Marineland Penguin 350B filter (for 70gal)
(2) 18inch 15watt regular stock fluorescents
(2) 10inch bubble stones

I'm building from the bottom up because I'm in college and need $. but I plan on buying 4 15lb. bags of FloraMax and mixing with plain white gravel for color, and weighing the plants down with smooth rocks because I will have uprooting fish. I want just the basic anubias, vallisineria, cryptos, java moss and java fern. I don't think any of these have high light requirements. I know they need more than my stock lights, but I don't want plain white lights - I would prefer a red or purple hue since apparently I can't have blue, lol. Obviously I don't want a horrible algae bloom.

I've found these: Wave Point Red Wave Plant Growth & Color Enhancer HO T5 Aquarium Lamp at PETCO

Or any other ideas? Sorry about this long post.

:thanks:

Sorry I didn't clarify - I have two hoods for the aquarium and therefore only need two 18" bulbs, I didn't realize the light I linked was 48"

I use a PowerChrome AquaFlora which has a slight reddish cast alongside a 6000k white. They're both T5HO bulbs. A bit more expensive, but I've noticed a huge increase in plant growth since I changed to these two bulbs from my one spectrum fluorescent.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Back
Top Bottom