50 gallon semi aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I plan on getting a 50 gallon semi aggressive tank around Christmas but I don't know what fish to put in it. So far I have thought of 1 albino or rainbow shark, 1 spotted African leaf fish, a school of barbs, a school of loaches, a school of pearl gouramis, and an African brown knife fish. Any more suggestions?

Gouramis are too peaceful for the rest of the tank. The knife will probably eat anyone when it grows up, the sharks will get too big for the tank. And IMO you'll be overstocked anyway. I would start all over. It can be done though.

Don't do the gouramies , and make sure they are all around the same size , just make sure you don't overstock it

Ok I'd like to keep one shark if possible. And some loaches or barbs. Also my leaf fish. That's all I know of. What else is there? Any kind of angel fish or eel or something?

I don't know if you could put anymore fish in there , just make sure the fish you want to get all need the same water temperatures and that they will all do good toghether without fighting , you have awhile to research them since your getting it on Christmas

I would do this

Red tailed shark
African leaf fish
5 albino tiger barbs, 5 green tiger barbs, and 5 normal tiger barbs
Brown knife
Maybe another leaf fish

Gouramis are too peaceful for the rest of the tank. The knife will probably eat anyone when it grows up, the sharks will get too big for the tank. And IMO you'll be overstocked anyway. I would start all over. It can be done though.
Gourami are incredibly capable of being as feisty as their smaller cousin the betta. I've kept kissers with oscars without a problem, my three spot likes to school with tinfoil barbs and my pair of paradise are perfectly happy with their small sa cichlid populace, oh and did I mention my barbs and loaches like to school together, and they have killed an Apollo shark? Dwarf gourami are peaceful, larger- especially kissers and giants are labeled semi aggressive, but from personal experience should be considered aggressive towards smaller and similar tankmates.... I agree with everything else you said, though.
Don't do the gouramies , and make sure they are all around the same size , just make sure you don't overstock it
I think the person can choose for themselves, again agree with stocking issues
I don't know if you could put anymore fish in there , just make sure the fish you want to get all need the same water temperatures and that they will all do good toghether without fighting , you have awhile to research them since your getting it on Christmas
If I could +1 you I would!!

Honestly, you're gonna have to choose one or the other... Either Southeast Asian or African style tank. Or if you are willing to take on an awful lot of acclimation to a neutral zone..... Research both groups, throw in the Amazon basin as well- it's ok to mix specimens from different regions as long as their water parameters call for the same treatment and their habitats are similar- i.e. oscars and clown loaches, barbs and tetra and brackish from all regions (just watch out for temperature similarities and discrepancies).

50g is an awesome starting size for a fully researched beautifully scaped tank!! Are you looking into planted tanks at all?

Yes, I was hoping to do a fully planted tank with real driftwood. I already have a 20 gallon with fake plants and wood so I was hoping to use real plants in my next tank. I have done no research what so ever on aquatic plants. Any help would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom