50 gallon stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aoessand

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was wondering if these guys will be ok together;

Red Ramshorns Snails <already have them, roughly 15>

6-10 Balloon red-eye tetra

6-10 Neon tetra

1-4 Blue mickey mouse platys

1-2 Boesemani Rainbow

1-2 Red Irian Rainbow
I defiantly want at least 1 of each Rainbow

1 Bushy nose plec (maybe)

2-6 Skunk Cory Cat OR Panda Cory cat OR Peppered Cory cat OR Albino Cory Cat

1-4 Siamese algae eater IF i can find the real thing havent been able to yet.

Will these guys work ok together, is that too many fish? My tank has a good amount of plants around 10 but they are smallish atm im hopping they grow bigger, i have 2 good size pieces of drift wood one on each side.

Water specs

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates will be below 20 ( still doing water changes i was waaaaaay off the chart from fishless cycle)

PH 8.2 dropped to 8.0 when i put the driftwood in but has since rebounded and has been 8.2 for last few days.

Temp stays 75-80 havent got it dialed in 100% yet and i dont have central air also i live in so cal so it does move up and down a bit but the heater does keep it above 75.

Equipment
2 Marineland 350
1 two outlet air pump
1 150watt Aqueon Pro Heater

I plan to do 1 PWC a week in the range of 20-50%, I do not want to have to do more than 1 a week so if thats too many fish for 1 PWC a week tell me what has to go or maybe lesser numbers.

Think thats about it if i missed anything please ask.

Looks fine except rainbows are like tetras. They need to have schools of their own kind. I would up the schools and ditch one of the tetra schools or just stick to one kind of rainbow so you can have a proper school.

Aww dang well would say 3 of two of the different Rainbows be ok and lower the other tetra schools to 6 each work or is that too much? Also the Rainbows are rather expensive to me at least (15+ per fish) :( so if i have to have a school thats going to be a problem :(. Could you recommend any other COLORFUL fish that could be a center piece?

Some would say 3 is fine but IMO they really need larger groups. If you really have your heart set on them, what about:
6 red eyes
8 neons
5 boesemani
5 red irain
1 maybe 2 plays
1 bn pleco
6 pandas (because they are smaller than the others)
2 SAE
IMO that would be fully stocked.
Just because you did a fish less cycle doesn't mean you have to stock everything at once. You could start off with one school of rainbows and stock the other in a few months.

Ok how about:

6 red eyes
8 neons
2 platys 1 bn pleco
6 pandas
2 SAE <dont know if i can even find them, ive looked at prolly 10 dif stores non looked like what ive seen online>
5 of one type of rainbow
2-5 Dwarf Gouramis <not sure if they would work with the other fish but they have very nice colors, i can not afford 2 schools of rainbows thats just too much money and ive already invested alot in this tank>

oK thank you very much for the info, i will probably get the 6 neons 8 eyes tomorrow or the next day, they are the cheapest lol. is it ok to add the rest in steps? And would it be ok to buy say 2-3 rainbows at once then buy the other 2-3 at a later day <2 weeks apart maybe, lol pay day> or should all 5-6 be bought the same day?

Buying them like that is fine. :) After a few weeks the massive bacteria colony grown during a fishless cycle will have shrunk to accommodate to the smaller bioload so adding them in steps is safer.

Last edited:
Awesome i cant wait hopefully tomorrow my nitrates will be around 10 and i can get some fish lol. I've only been doing 1 water change a day is it ok to do more than 1 in same day, maybe 1 in the morning and 1 at night?

I coulda been done already! ROFL ok well thanks again for all your advice i promise to post some pictures soon as i have fish in! ive done 3 water changes but only 1 down to the gravel so the next one will def be to the gravel again hopefully that gets me where i need to be and i can get fish tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, your tank sounds like it's going to be very lively. :) You might want to do a youtube search for drip acclimation; it's the best way to acclimate fish to a new tank. Post pics when you get them and good luck!

Sadly no fish today didn't get python till late did bucket method in the morning lol glad I won't have to do that again. lol tomorrow will be fish day I hope...

Well I've done all I can do I've change the water so many times today 3 100% changes a couple of partials to clean the filter media. Changed air tubing, cleaned the Bio wheels when I did the filter media as well as scrubbed the walls in the tank it's cleaner than its ever been lol. Now for the bad news, after all the changes I was still seeing high nitrates so I tested my tap water at different places in the house they are all the same 5-20 if I hold the tube to light bulb it's 5-10 if I just look at it normal distance it's between 10-20... Is that still too high? I don't want to buy fish just to kill them from nitrates...

First bunch in 3 Mickey mouse platys 10 red eye tetras

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120427_223106.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_223106.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20120427_223118.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_223118.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 55
  • ForumRunner_20120427_223141.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_223141.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 50
  • ForumRunner_20120427_223150.jpg