50% water change trites still high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hbbambislayer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a 50% water change this morning at 8 my trites were at around 5ppm waited 3 hours tested water trites still at 5ppm should I do another change should I do nothing for a few days, this is a fishless cycle 15 days into it???

Do you have any NitrAtes showing? During a cycle, nitrItes can be all over the map before they finally start being converted to nitrAtes. If it's a fishless cycle, don't bother with PWC until the end of cycle. Keep the ammonia source coming until the cycle completes.

At only two weeks into a cycle, I would not be very concerned yet. If your nitrites persist in being off the charts high and your nitrates are not increasing after another week or so, please let us know! If you notice your ph starting to drop, you need to do a big wc asap (90+%).

20 days into cycle ammo still drops from 4ppm to 0 in a day, nitrites still 5+, nitrates are now at over 80 for sure not quite the color of that 160 mark, ph 7.8. Tap water is ph 7.2, nitrites 0, nitrates 40. So I guess I got some BB for the trites there just not going down yet.

You can either wait it out or do a big wc or two to drop your nitrites and nitrates then add a low ammonia dose. Once your nitrites are converting fully, the ammonia can be gradually increased back up to 4ppm over the course of a week. Patience is a must here as nature works on her own time schedule.

By waiting it out the nitrites will eventually drop? Do I continue dosing ammo to 4ppm? Which way do you recommend waiting or changing water out, I'm in no hurry just want it to be cycled properly so fishies will be ok.

I have tried waiting it out (don't add anymore ammonia) but wcs seem to do more for getting a cycle moving forward as excess nitrites will stall cycle. Once nitrite levels are readable (1ppm or less) and well under control, only add a small amount of ammonia (1ppm) then just hold off on more ammonia for a couple of days until you see the nitrates start to rise. I still think your too early in the cycling process to be overly concerned with high nitrites as a big spike is common and it takes 2-3x as long for your nitrite>nitrate bacteria to develop. Controlling nitrite spikes with limited ammonia doses helps as it prevents nitrite stalls.

Ok I'll do some changes to get them readable I also have some bio balls coming today from a friends tank I'm gonna plop them in there

Ok did 2 water changes 70% each to get nitrites to what appears to be 1 maybe less I'll test again tonight I gotta sleep but when I get up and test it should I then dose the 1ppm ammo or am I waitin on that? Also added 8 bio balls from my buddy's tank 4 in each filter 1/2 of the top tray in each filter is empty except the polishing pad so I put them in that 1.

Sounds good! Hopefully, those bioballs will kick things into gear. Yes, just add 1ppm of ammonia and lets see how things look in 24hrs. :)

Ok, I'm glad you said add 1ppm when I got up at 10pm (I work 3rd shift) I tested my water ammo 0 nitrtes .5 ish, nitrates 40ish down from the 80+ they were I assume water changes I'll post results tomorrow night again when I get up, should I keep up with just 1ppm ammo or?

Ok 2 days after the 2 water changes. 2 days ago tested water after the changes and had .5ish maybe 1ppm nitrites. 40 nitrates. Added the ammo to 1ppm as you suggested, today I tested 0ish ammo nitrites aren't 0 but not the .25 either there barely there and nitrates are way darker than the 80ppm very deep red I'm color blind red/green but I know light from dark it's blood colored. So you think 1ppm on ammo again?

Well after adding 1.5ppm ammo. Ph 7.6, ammo 0ish, nitrites 1-2ppm and, nitrates were still 80-160 area :-( didn't add any ammo after that test since nitrites didn't go anything but go up I'll give it a day then check I'll post numbers tomorrow

I checked water again this morning couldnt believe that nitrites disn drop after that little bit of ammo. nitrites were 0ppm nitrates still high no ammo. You think stay with dose of 1.5 ppm again or up it to 2ppm

If ammonia and nitrites zero (or close to it), up the dose to 2ppm. Nitrates are going to steadily keep increasing until you do a wc.

Ok I'll do that next test I did 1.5 again thanks I debated doing 2 but decided to be safe, if after I do 2ppm if it drops should I go up more or stay with 2 a couple days

2ppm ammo dose goes to 0 very quickly but it's taking 48 hours for nitrites to go away, should I keep doing 2 ppm with ammo, should I dose it every day or every 2 days after nitrites 0?

That's fine! It takes a bit longer for nitrites to convert. If its taking 2 days for them to drop, only dose every other day but keep testing nitrites daily because they should start speeding up and converting within 24hrs. Once they do, up it to 2.5 (then 3, etc). Your getting pretty close to being completely cycled! :)

Back
Top Bottom