50g start out help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_elvish_misfit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to do this completely correct this time. I just bought a used 55g tank (was previously used to breed paranahs for 3 years) to rehome my 2 angels, 2 black mollies, 2 swordtails, 2 platys, 4 neons and a pleco out of my 10g.

Should I keep the neon purple and green gravel? Or is that offensive to fish? Should I use real substrates? (my tank now looks like a bad acid trip with a side of magic mushrooms lol)

Are the plastic plants and coral caves ideal or would using real rocks and plants be better? If so what kinds and how would I go about finding and adding them?

I usually go to a spring water refilling station and fill my 5 2.5g water jugs to change the 10g tank water, this may be more difficult with the 55g tank. Should I use tap water and put chemicals in it? Or just tough it out with the 5 trips to the refill station?

Whats the best thing to feed them? I have tropical flakes and balls now.

Should I get a second fish that eats algae? I know how big plecos get and I already have someone that would buy mine if he gets too big. But for now he is a baby, can he handle the whole 55g by himself?

Any other tips on heaters, filters, etc whatever is best for my fish, price really isn't an issue (I work all night and have no friends lol).

Last edited:
It is a matter of personal taste when it comes to substrate when you aren't going to have live plants. There are some great silk plants if you don't want to mess with live plants.

I enjoy my low light/tech tanks the most. I really don't care of the clown puke gravel and neon plants but that is just me. If you have stock lights you probably can get by with things like Java moss, Java fern, anubia and African fern. Sometimes people have extra that they are willing to sell for very little plus the cost of shipping instead of throwing it out. If you ask for a beginner package make sure you know what type of substrate and light you have also if you are going to use CO2.

Most places the city water treated is fine for most fish.

One thing about common plecos if they don't get enough to eat they will suck off slime coat from the other fish. I didn't know this until my friend was saying his was attacking other fish, once he started feeding it algae wafers and using real driftwood the problem was solved.

The heater you will want at least a 250 watt if not a 300 watt heater. I like the ease of HOB filter.

You will probably be surprised how fast your angels will probably grow once they are in a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom