50g stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
I haven't started my tank to cycle yet so fish are still way off, but this is what I'm thinking once it's ready. What do you think? I may or may not keep with the Angel. I love them, but I don't want it eating the adult shrimpies. I plan on having a fairly heavily planted tank. I have a magnum 350 canister filter.

AquStockImage.php

That seems okay, although I think it would be best to leave out the angel as they generally should be keep in a good group. Maybe consider some corydoras or more tetras:
6 x Otos
1 x Pearl Gourami
10 x Shrimp
5 x Platys
10 x Cardinal tetras
Platys do breed like crazy so you may want to only keep one gender or you should have a plan as what to do with the babies :)

I think that the stocking looks pretty good. Angels don't need to school. Actually if you get two they might pair up and attack everyone, three well that's not good because it's an odd number. And so on...

I would think twice about the RCS because there are lots of fish in there that would just LOVE to eat them.

Ottos, wait like 6 or so months until you get them. They love algae and will often die because of starvation in a new tank.

Like what the other person said, corydoras would make an excellent tank mates with what you have. Think about them, they're cute;)

I wouldn't add the angel with cardinals as once the angel matures it may see the cardinals as food.

How about a pair of bolivian rams, hardy, peaceful and entertaining ?

I, personally, have never had any of my angels eat any of my cardinals or similar sized fish, but every situation is different. As for how many of them is good? I can't really say because I've never had less than 4 at a time.

I have nixed the angels, and decided to switch from cardinals to celestial pearl danios. This is my new list. I'm sure it will change again before my tank is done cycling tho:lol:

Rams are pretty, but don't cichlids need special water conditions? My tap water is almost 8.0ph, don't they need acidic? I don't know if I want to mess with ph stuff. I tried to pick fish that will tolerate that ph, I may buy amano shrimp instead of rcs because of that.

I'm not too familiar with barbs, would the gold barbs be a good combo with the rest? I love tiger barbs, but I've heard they are notorious fin nippers, are the golds the same?

AquStockImage.php

Bolivian Rams do prefer a lower PH but some people have kept them at 8.0ph fine, but you are doing the right thing making your stock match the quality of your water. :)

I havent kept most of the fish on your lists apart from swordtails, i keep one male and four female's, active hardy fish, and plenty of different colours to choose from, My lfs advised me to keep three females to one male as they breed like crazy so one female wouldn't be harassed, i have never kept two males so cant comment on swords fighting but i have heard you can get a alpha male situation which isnt good for the sub male.

look forward to seeing your new lists ;)

Yes swordtails are waterbunnies along with mollies and platys, lol.

I forgot to look up hatchets before putting them on my list and they like more acidic water too, so I'll have to leave them out too I think. Maybe I'll go back to the pearl gourami :)

Aquarium_Lover04 said:
That seems okay, although I think it would be best to leave out the angel as they generally should be keep in a good group. Maybe consider some corydoras or more tetras:
6 x Otos
1 x Pearl Gourami
10 x Shrimp
5 x Platys
10 x Cardinal tetras
Platys do breed like crazy so you may want to only keep one gender or you should have a plan as what to do with the babies :)

in my experience pearls do best in gruops of 3. 1m 2f.

and if your only going to keep 1 sex, keep females not males

Here is the list I've settled on. I have the bn, rcs, and danios, and will be picking up the lemons as soon as I find some as well as the otos (i've got algae going nuts already)

I have to wait for my danios to get bigger before getting anything else. They're just babies.

I have heard mixed feelings on keeping one pearl gourami, is there any small community gourami that can be kept singly? would dwarf gourami be better?

AquStockImage.php

Stefernini said:
I have nixed the angels, and decided to switch from cardinals to celestial pearl danios. This is my new list. I'm sure it will change again before my tank is done cycling tho:lol:

Rams are pretty, but don't cichlids need special water conditions? My tap water is almost 8.0ph, don't they need acidic? I don't know if I want to mess with ph stuff. I tried to pick fish that will tolerate that ph, I may buy amano shrimp instead of rcs because of that.

I'm not too familiar with barbs, would the gold barbs be a good combo with the rest? I love tiger barbs, but I've heard they are notorious fin nippers, are the golds the same?

Tiger barbs can be fin nippers. But kept in a larger group 6+ they should be ok. Try not to keep them with fancy finned or slow moving fish.

Back
Top Bottom