55 Gal Set Up Question - lighting and filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Langemc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recieved a 55 gallon acrylic hexagon aquarium from a family friend. I've had a 10 gallon for a while but I was hoping to try a planted community tank with my new 55 gallon.

I have two quick questions:

The first being filtration: As I've been reading it seemed like alot of people were fans of cannister filters. I've been looking at the Fluval 305. Does this come as a recommended filter, and is this overkill or just right?

Also, I'm planning on sticking to medium to low light plants. I've read to try to keep close to 2 watts per gallon. Are hexagons good tanks for planted aquaiums (I'm curious because they are deeper tanks, does the light reach the bottom all the same), and is there a light you recommend? The canopy the tank came with holds an 18 inch flourescent light.

Thanks for all your help.

A fluval 305 would do the job, you can also look at an Rena xp2 or xp3. Hexagons are tougher to plant because of the depth. Light does not penetrate water very well. At 2 wpg you should be able to grow a decent variety of plants.

That should allow you to grow any low light plant you want. You should not need any CO2. You may have to do a little fertilizing but not much.

Back
Top Bottom