55 gallon- Ammonia not dropping (Fishless Cycling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rotorhead22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently cycling (fishless) my new 55 gallon tank. This is the first time I have had a 55 gallon (only 5, 10, 20 gal previously) and this is the first fishless cycel I have ever attempted. I have read alot of the threads in this forum and there is alot of great info. I seeded my tank with some live gravel and some material from my turtle tank which has a seasoned canister filter. Below is my log:

2/2/12
Initial ammonia add: 10 ml, 10% ammonia hydroxide (from ACE Hardware)
Initial readings after 1 hour:
NH3/NH4 (Ammonia) = 8 ppm (higher than 4 ppm)
NO2 (Nitrite)= 0 ppm
NO3= 0ppm
pH = 8.4
Temp= 80 deg F

2/3/12
Addition: Fish food (very little) and a few dried blood worms
NH3/NH4 (Ammonia) = 4 ppm
NO2 (Nitrite)= 1 ppm
NO3= 1 ppm
pH = 8.2
Temp= 80 deg F

2/4/12
Addition: Fish food (finely crushed)
NO2 (Nitrite)= 1 ppm
NO3= 5 ppm
pH = 8.2
Temp= 78 deg F

2/5/12
NO2 (Nitrite)= q2 ppm
NO3= 10 ppm
pH = 8.2
Temp= 78 deg F

I know it has only been 4 days but think that the Nitrites and Nitrates showing up are generally a good sign (?) but am worried because the Ammonia level has held steady at about 4 ppm for the past 3 days (after the initial drop). Is this because of the addition of the fish food? I know it is hard to control the decay.

Should I be worried? Should I see the drop in Ammonia occur in the next few days?

I plan on a 50% water change once the Nitrates get too high. At what level should I do this. I don't want the beneficial bacteria (BB) to slow due to water conditions.

Thank you all in advance for any words of wisdom.

-55 gallon African Cichlid Tank
Gravel/Aragonite Mix Substrate
-Emperor 400 Filter
-UG Filter w/ 2 Hagen AquaClear 50 Powerheads
-Luft Pump w/ air stone
TX Holey Rock Decor

-rotorhead22 :confused:

rotorhead22 said:
I am currently cycling (fishless) my new 55 gallon tank. This is the first time I have had a 55 gallon (only 5, 10, 20 gal previously) and this is the first fishless cycel I have ever attempted. I have read alot of the threads in this forum and there is alot of great info. I seeded my tank with some live gravel and some material from my turtle tank which has a seasoned canister filter. Below is my log:

2/2/12
Initial ammonia add: 10 ml, 10% ammonia hydroxide (from ACE Hardware)
Initial readings after 1 hour:
NH3/NH4 (Ammonia) = 8 ppm (higher than 4 ppm)
NO2 (Nitrite)= 0 ppm
NO3= 0ppm
pH = 8.4
Temp= 80 deg F

2/3/12
Addition: Fish food (very little) and a few dried blood worms
NO2 (Nitrite)= 1 ppm
NO3= 1 ppm
pH = 8.2
Temp= 80 deg F

2/4/12
Addition: Fish food (finely crushed)
NO2 (Nitrite)= 1 ppm
NO3= 5 ppm
pH = 8.2
Temp= 78 deg F

2/5/12
NO2 (Nitrite)= q2 ppm
NO3= 10 ppm
pH = 8.2
Temp= 78 deg F

I know it has only been 4 days but think that the Nitrites and Nitrates showing up are generally a good sign (?) but am worried because the Ammonia level has held steady at about 4 ppm for the past 3 days (after the initial drop). Is this because of the addition of the fish food? I know it is hard to control the decay.

Should I be worried? Should I see the drop in Ammonia occur in the next few days?

I plan on a 50% water change once the Nitrates get too high. At what level should I do this. I don't want the beneficial bacteria (BB) to slow due to water conditions.

Thank you all in advance for any words of wisdom.

-55 gallon African Cichlid Tank
Gravel/Aragonite Mix Substrate
-Emperor 400 Filter
-UG Filter w/ 2 Hagen AquaClear 50 Powerheads
-Luft Pump w/ air stone
TX Holey Rock Decor

-rotorhead22 :confused:

You should not be worried at all. It's a great thing that your already showing nitrites and nitrates. The ammonia should start dropping soon. It's only been 4 days. Just keep the ammo at 4 ppm and in a couple weeks, you'll be cycled.

The bb will not slow due to water changes. I'd do the pwc when nitrates are 160 ppm an nitrites are very high.

Back
Top Bottom