55 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minky123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I'm Brad and I'm new to AA. I am currently doing a fishless cycle with a new 55g. My stocking plan is
6 tiger barbs
6 albino tiger barbs
2 pictus cats
5 silver dollars
Would this ne over stocked, under stocked?? I have a penguin 350 and a tetratec pf 400 I think with a inline heater. Thanks for the help!

I can not comment on your stocking plan (i do coldwater) but i am sure someone will help you out here! You may want to do a search on here on UGFs & decide (before you finish cycling) on whether this will be worth using at all. My personal experience is to skip them altogether. The amount of waste & filth that accumulates underneath the plates is impossible to keep clean & your tank basically needs to be ripped apart in order to remove and/or clean them. Just a suggestion-do your research & decide for yourself! If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask! :)

Hi Brad and welcome to AA! I don't see any immediate issues with your stocking so I'd say it looks good. :) Good luck with your cycle!

Reactions: jlk
Thank you, and jik that is why I have the reverse flow powerheads so food and poop don't settle into the gravel.

Could I also possibly add more fish if I keep up with my water changes. What would be a good addition to this group??

Couple of comments:

Do you realize how big silver dollars get? They can reach 5"-6" and are considered good tank mates to Oscars, if that tells you anything. 5 Silver dollars in a 55 is, IMO, a big no-no. You obviously like your Barbs, so substitute in another school of a different kind.

I agree with jlk... UGF's are far more trouble to keep maintained than they're worth. As long as you don't overstock, the other filtration you have listed will be plenty.

Oh alright. Well what could be some other stocking options??

I'd stay away from any slower fish with large fins (guppies, bettas, etc). Go with something that is active & schools well.... maybe rummynose (one of my favorites), danios, or if you'd like to stick with the barb theme, Cherries would probably be OK.

Haha yeah I can say tiger barbs are my favorite fish. How about red finned tinfoil barbs, or are those to big also?

Haha woops,alright well I'm thinking some rosy barbs then. Could I have corys with the pictus cats?

Not really.... Usually, the Pictus is considered docile, but it can attempt to eat smaller, slower fish (like a cory) when full grown.
Honestly, I'd go with a nice group of Cories rather than a couple of Pictus. You'll get a lot more activity in your tank, and the smaller Cories get into more nooks & crannies.

Back
Top Bottom