55 Gallon Build- for my dad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got a 55 gallon tank, and my dad wants it. So I'm giving it to him because my sisters turtle dead and she wants a new on and the only way my mom will allow that is if my 55 gallon tank goes:(. As for my dad he wants some easy fish that are "manly". I'm going to get him some of the fish that I wanted: 1 rainbow shark, 12 tiger barbs, 6-7peppered cories, and would there be enough room for some black skirt tetras or no?

You have a lot of room in there. Tiger barbs and black skirt tetras however in the same tank seems like a lot of aggression and nipping. The rest of the stock is fine, I'm just worried about too much aggression going on in that tank.

Whoops forgot pictures of the tank... Here they are and we'll be getting a stand within a few days:)

Attachments

• image-931799197.jpg
    image-931799197.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2068885143.jpg
    image-2068885143.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 92
bruinsbro1997 said:
You have a lot of room in there. Tiger barbs and black skirt tetras however in the same tank seems like a lot of aggression and nipping. The rest of the stock is fine, I'm just worried about too much aggression going on in that tank.

Okay what would be a fish with less aggression, by any chance would neons or cardinal tetras work?

Okay I'll look into those barbs but I've heard from a bunch of people and websites that they usually won't bother other fish if you get larger schools like 10-12.

That is true. The difference between six tiger barbs and adding four is immense. I guess you could try it, they'd be more occupied with themselves rather than the other fish.

Tiger barbs should be fine with black skirts in a 55. The rainbow shark should get along fine with those. If you want to keep with the semi-aggressive theme, try a small group of Yasuhikotakia modesta (just a few though, they get big). Here is a link:
Blue Botia (Yasuhikotakia modesta) — Loaches Online

If your dad likes all those fish, I'd suggest something like 8-10 barbs, 8-10 black skirts, 1 rainbow shark, and 3-4 modesta.

severum mama said:
Tiger barbs should be fine with black skirts in a 55. The rainbow shark should get along fine with those. If you want to keep with the semi-aggressive theme, try a small group of Yasuhikotakia modesta (just a few though, they get big). Here is a link:

If your dad likes all those fish, I'd suggest something like 8-10 barbs, 8-10 black skirts, 1 rainbow shark, and 3-4 modesta.

Although those look really cool I just looked around online and near me they only have kubotai botias and I have 4 peppered cories that need a new hone so would the cories work in there or will they have to wait until we get a 29-40 gallon for my sister that will have angelfish?

those loaches look a lot like a rainbow shark,id be worried theyed get picked on pretty bad

Okay now I'm hijacking my own thread... But since I'm going to be moving my cories put of my 8 gallon tank into my dads 55 gallon tank which fish should I get? They need to be easy to find and not cost a lot (under 10 dollars per fish). Also Endler's are out, mom vetoed them...

Okay now I'm hijacking my own thread... But since I'm going to be moving my cories put of my 8 gallon tank into my dads 55 gallon tank which fish should I get? They need to be easy to find and not cost a lot (under 10 dollars per fish). Also Endler's are out, mom vetoed them...
why wont she let you get endlers? and i think a betta and some nano fish and shrimp would look nice

We have a store around here that sells them for like 12ish dollars and she refuses to spend, or let me spend money on them. Also I've tried my betta with the cories and he hated them so I doubt the betta + other fish won't work...

We have a store around here that sells them for like 12ish dollars and she refuses to spend, or let me spend money on them. Also I've tried my betta with the cories and he hated them so I doubt the betta + other fish won't work...
ahhh,ok then,maybe just nano fish(chilli rasboras,micro rasboras,etc) and shrimp(rcs,ghost,etc)

bruinsbro1997 said:
You could try a tank with celestial pearl danios for the top, shrimp for the bottom and a sparkling gourami as a centerpiece. JMO. :)

Quick question- are dwarf and sparkling gouramis that same?

No. Sparkling gouramis are about the size of my thumb approximately the last time I saw them at an LFS and like their own company, believe it or not.

Oh, ok:). Thanks a bunch! Also my parents keep changing their mind so I might get to keep my 55 gallon tank and my dad might get his own:D :dance: but I'm guessing that this might keep changing but idk!

Back
Top Bottom