55 gallon community stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andysol

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello- new to the forum and have been out of the hobby for 7 years- just getting back into it. Need some help.

55 gallon tank, low/moderate light, black substrate w/ driftwood and moderately/heavy vegetation. Filter is a 150 gallon Gebo canister.

My current stock list looks like thus:

-4 otos
-6 corys
-2 dwarf gouramis
-6 marbled hatchets
-10 cardinal (or neon) tetras
A couple snails and a few cherry shrimp.

I would like a fish like a redtail shark, but I had one before and he was a big bully (30 gallon). Any suggestions for a single fish?

Or:
Raise the numbers of the other fish (14 tetras, 8 hatchets, etc)

Or:
Get another schooling fish like 6-8 cherry barbs

Or a combo of them?

Thoughts and comments appreciated. :)

Andysol said:
Hello- new to the forum and have been out of the hobby for 7 years- just getting back into it. Need some help.

55 gallon tank, low/moderate light, black substrate w/ driftwood and moderately/heavy vegetation. Filter is a 150 gallon Gebo canister.

My current stock list looks like thus:

-4 otos
-6 corys
-2 dwarf gouramis
-6 marbled hatchets
-10 cardinal (or neon) tetras
A couple snails and a few cherry shrimp.

I would like a fish like a redtail shark, but I had one before and he was a big bully (30 gallon). Any suggestions for a single fish?

Or:
Raise the numbers of the other fish (14 tetras, 8 hatchets, etc)

Or:
Get another schooling fish like 6-8 cherry barbs

Or a combo of them?

Thoughts and comments appreciated. :)

Hi and welcome!
IMO (in my opinion) you can add the extra tetras and hatchets as well as include a CP (centre piece) fish. I would avoid a red tail shark because, as you said, they are bullies and IMO require a 75g tank minimum.

Any suggestion for a peaceful centerpiece fish?
A ram (or pair?)

How many extras do you think I could add to the others (where do you see a need for more?)

my red tail was a real bully too. I rearranged my tank (I had a large sunken ship as a feature centrepiece- which he had claimed as his own- so i took it out and replaced it with a smaller one and he has been a perfect gentlemen ever since. So maybe give one another go?

Andysol said:
Any suggestion for a peaceful centerpiece fish?
A ram (or pair?)

How many extras do you think I could add to the others (where do you see a need for more?)

The schools are fine how they are but from your above post if you wanted you could easily up them to 14 and 8. IMO you could try a ram (or a pair) but you would have to watch them with the cories. A 55g should have enough room for both though.

Using AqAdvisor's calculator, I could handle (with 10% to spare):

-8 Hatchets
-8 Cherry Barbs
-14 Neon Tetras
-2 Dwarf Gouramis (m/f)
-2 GBRs (m/f)
-8 Panda Corys
-4 Otos
And my shrimp and snails

That seems a bit much even with an overpowered filter and heavy vegetation. I might do it less the cherry barbs, and if all is good and everyone is happy and it looks like it could use some more activity, I'll add the barbs. Thoughts? Or would I be fine regardless.

Andysol said:
Using AqAdvisor's calculator, I could handle (with 10% to spare):

-8 Hatchets
-8 Cherry Barbs
-14 Neon Tetras
-2 Dwarf Gouramis (m/f)
-2 GBRs (m/f)
-8 Panda Corys
-4 Otos
And my shrimp and snails

That seems a bit much even with an overpowered filter and heavy vegetation. I might do it less the cherry barbs, and if all is good and everyone is happy and it looks like it could use some more activity, I'll add the barbs. Thoughts? Or would I be fine regardless.

AqAdviser is a good starting point but I wouldn't use it exclusively to stock a tank. it has it's flaws.

Going slow sounds like a good plan. If all goes well and you think the tank (and you) can handle more fish go for it.

Back
Top Bottom