55 Gallon Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksfishguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a 55 gallon long aquarium from a friend. It has a metal stand that is open. I would like to use all hang-on-back filters since I don't want anything to be seen below on the "open" stand.

What about a Penguin HOB with a HOT Magnum Filter? Just an idea, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have a 42 gallon hexagon (tall) aquarium with a HOB filter and a Magnum 350 canister filter, they work great together.

Thanks!

depends on the bioload.
low - a single hob (AC70, penguin) would be fine.
high - couple it with a canister/another hob.

Hot Magnum Pro has the bio wheel correct? I'm thinking about a cichlid tank with yellow labs and such. Do you use carbon in the magnum?

For cichlids I would recommend at least one cannister and one HOB, I use 2 larger cannisters on my 125 cichlid tank. I don't use carbon except to remove meds in any of my tanks, I use filter floss.

My 55g mbuna tank has an Ehiem 2217 and a Fluval 304. I know you don't want to buy cansister, but IMO they are the best option for cichlids. At the very least you may want to look into buying TWO AC70s if you plan on stocking it with Africans.

I prefer Emperors or Aquaclears to Penguins. I think they are more reliable mechanically, and the fact that the BioWheel is spraybar-driven on the Emperors makes the Emperor a much better design. The Aquaclear is nice because it is more customizable, and the foam block can be rinsed during water changes and ends up being cheaper than using Marineland's proprietary cartridges.

It would be fine to pair up a HOB with the HOT Magnum, but IMO the canister filters that others mentioned have a better design as far as media and media placement. But then again, there are people that love the HOT Magnum, so it really all comes down to your personal preference. 2 HOBs would work just as well and would be cheaper, and a canister would work even better. JMO

Back
Top Bottom