55 gallon goldie tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello,
Indeed, most would agree that 5 fantail goldfish in a 55gallon would be too many due to a few factors. First of all, these are no small fish(which Im assuming you know :p ). The amount of space they will have will be too little for all of them to succefully grow to their adult size. Second, the bio load of 5 fantails will be very hard to keep up with in a 55gal. Before too long, those small goldfish will be pooping machine(a bit less than their comet counterpart though). I would recommend at most 4 at 3 for them to be comfortable. Get at least 364gph of filtration, 525 preferably for this tank.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

thanks!! I wanted to get 3, but was told that they needed to be in a bigger group....thanks! Now ill stick with the 3 I wanted!

thanks!! I wanted to get 3, but was told that they needed to be in a bigger group....thanks! Now ill stick with the 3 I wanted!

As long as they are a few in there, it works. What we disrecommend is leaving a goldfish alone. 3 will definitely allow them to be intersocial, so it is perfect ;) Best of luck to you!

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

With proper filtration and water changes 5 would be fine. Asking a question like this is going to only give you opinions.

Will 5 Goldies (they would have to be fancies because they don't grow as big as common or comets) be able to live their entire lives in that 55 gal tank? Nope! A 75 would be ideal for 5 fancies. I'd say 4 fancies could live in a 55 their entire lives. 5 is pushing it. If you do get 5 (I would recommend only getting 4 fancies) you will HAVE to keep up on your WCs!!! Good luck!

55 gallon- 1 tiger Oscar named Salmon

55 gallon- 4 tinfoil barbs, one small Oscar

55 gallon- freshwater community

Entire life in that tank? Yep! Chance they will actually keep the fish long enough to find out? Rare.

Tank guidelines are an estimation and in no way are absolute.

It was my understanding that fantails are fancies.

Attachments

• indisputable.jpg
    indisputable.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 105
Three maximum for a 55g and I can not guarantee they will not outgrow it in a year or so (assuming you purchase juveniles). If you compare an adult fancy with a comparable fish, you are looking at an Oscar for potential size and bioload. My bigger adults are all over 12 inches and would be uncomfortable singly in a 55g with a 12in width as the turning radius is limited.

Keep in mind that goldfish grow through out their lives with adequate space and an good diet. The deciding factor for size then becomes genetics which is an unknown unless you are purchasing from a private breeder.

In respect to 'needing' additional goldfish, this is a myth. Goldfish are 'social' fish generally but this is definitely NOT an absolute. They have attitudes comparable to humans- some are outgoing and sociable while others are quite aggressive bullies. They are not schooling or shoaling fish and are perfectly content to live as solitary creatures though they appreciate a tank mate more often than not.

Please check out the 'stickied' thread at the top of this section on the visual perspective of fancy goldfish if you need further clarification on their size. :)

I think it best to get 3 I always think its better to understock. If they are under 1 year, you won't know there gender yet. Allow time for this as you my might discover you have 2 males and a female. 4 is fully stocked for this size tank only getting 3 at first would give you an option later down the line to get another female in there. I had this problem 2males can really drive 1 femake in sane lol. Adding another female takes the pressire off. Im getting a 119gallon tank and only have 4 fancies I can technically have 7 but I perfer to understock as I feel it better each fish gets more swimming space. I have 2 males and a female one new fish who is looking good and I think is a female too phew!! New tank coming this Thursday at last!

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also you want these fish to get big. They are beautiful when they are big. Hence why I'm getting a big tank. My biggest is 6inches. I have in 42 gallon and it looks visually restricting for them. Only been over stocked for a monthish but WCing like crazy.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom