55 gallon queston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey Everyone i was at a different walmart than i usally go to the other day and they have a 55 gallon kit. has anybody ever used one of these is the tank built good or do i need to just go to the fish store and get an aqueon

Agree with susankat. The tanks are fine but the rest is so,so. Still, it will be fine for a while and you could always change things out at your leisure. I'd change the filter first. H.O.B.'s (hang on back filters) are OK but a canister (HOT Magnum's$70-$80 bucks or a Cascade 750 $90) would be a inexpensive way to go. You don't have to have a canister on a 55g but it makes life easier. ;)

i would look on criagslist. worst case buy the tank alone though i am very selective in what i use.

I bought one of the Aqueon 55 gallon kits and am pretty happy with it. The lighting is pretty weak though, but the filter seems to be decent. As far as the aquarium itself the construction seems really solid (no leaks, scratches, etc...) and the heater was really good as well (I unfortunately had to put it to the test with an ich outbreak right when I started everything up and it kept the temperature at a steady 86 without any problem whatsoever throughout the duration of the treatment)

I ended up buying an Emperor 400 to supplement the filter and switched the bulbs out to flora-glos so I could keep some low-lighting plants and am pretty happy with everything now

But I don't really know if that's the same kit they have at wal-mart..

...But I don't really know if that's the same kit they have at wal-mart..[/quote]

Yeah, I haven't looked at their 55's in quite a while but it seems like they always had a decent starter kit. The support stuff in the kit (heater, filter, etc.) changed every once in a while but when I was looking at it, it was OK. Ummm, Marineland filter, 2 no watt fluorescent tube lights and... a heater of some sort. A good kit for the price I thought.

Back
Top Bottom