Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So yesterday I did a large pwc now this morning I’ve found 5 dead rosy tetras. Those had been in the tank since end of March. So I’m down to just a few rosy tetras not sure what to do. My parameters all seem perfect but I’m afraid to replace as I can’t keep anything alive. If the last few die not sure if I strip down the tank and start over.

Edit:

I decided to try a last ditch I am going to medicate the tank with Melafix and Pimafix then pray that’ll fix it.
My only other idea which doesn’t seem logical is that due to the sand I had some toxic gas pockets building up. Once settled I will add the MTS snail but this time I’ll be more careful with where they come from

Old 08-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #12

Here is the update on the tank. A couple days after my last post I realized there were only 3 rosy tetras left and they were not looking good to say the least! I sucked it up took them out temporarily and did a full tear down of the tank, I washed and sifted through the sand (and actually added quite a bit more). Cleaned all the decorations, trimmed all the live plants. The only thing I did not totally redo was the filter media didnít want to kill all the bacteria.

I put the rosy tetras back and started a 10 day melafix and pimafix regime and within a couple days those 3 really perked up. Since then Iíve slowly added some more stock only a few per week max. I keep checking my parameters which all seem great and am doing 10% or so pwcs every 5-6 days I will go larger once I have more stock.

My current stock is:

3 rosy tetras (will add more very soon) they were the only ones to survive before reboot

8 cardinal tetras (might add more the kids love the colours)

2 Amano shrimp (want to add more)

A few mts snails for the sand.

Iím thinking for future stock adding very slowly.

A pair of dwarf cichlids (not sure exactly what type yet)
A school of Cory cats thinking dwarf or Sterba

I know I will have some more room but not sure exactly what else Iíd want or I should say what the kids would want. Iím trying to stay away from livebearers but the kids love platys.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4257.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	313626

Old 08-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Livebearers could be an option to provide some live food for your tetras; my mom kept a few livebearers in her 75g stocked with mostly angels and tetras for awhile. They never managed to have that livebearer population explosion people experience because the other fish really had a taste for their young
Old Today, 08:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrapeNKA View Post
Livebearers could be an option to provide some live food for your tetras; my mom kept a few livebearers in her 75g stocked with mostly angels and tetras for awhile. They never managed to have that livebearer population explosion people experience because the other fish really had a taste for their young

Well we are going to see what happens my kids got me to cave and we now have added 4 platys.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« New 10 gallon | - »