55 gallon start up questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if theres no fish and you ever plan to have live plants i suggest adding some sort of organic substrate(no ferts) can be a pain later(you will want to drop most of the water and will be cloudy for a few days

I used something not sure exactly what (the bottle is in the other room) I cannot say for certain if it helped or not. But my observation is people on this site don't have too high of an opinion of it.

q 1: how do you correctly clean a used tank?
q 2: can u use a used filter or best to buy new?
q 3: best filtratiion?
q 4: what is a python and how does it work? I keep hearing for bigger tanks its best to have one but, im unsure why.
q 5: do you have to fill a tank fully to know if it leaks? if so how long? and how do you empty such a big amount of water?

q1 : Vinegar water. Rinse thoroughly afterwards though.
q2 : A used filter will be fine, just change the filter cartridge.
q3 : I recommend a bio-wheel filter for tanks that size.
q4 : Helps to fill and empty tanks faster. It also has a gravel vacuum on the end of it
q5 : If you are unsure about the tank, I would fill it completely. Keep an eye on it as it fills.

Aquariumcouple said:
q1 : Vinegar water. Rinse thoroughly afterwards though.
q2 : A used filter will be fine, just change the filter cartridge.
q3 : I recommend a bio-wheel filter for tanks that size.
q4 : Helps to fill and empty tanks faster. It also has a gravel vacuum on the end of it
q5 : If you are unsure about the tank, I would fill it completely. Keep an eye on it as it fills.

Thanks! My ammonia finally dropped...looks like were finally getting going!

Q: Where Am I on my cycle? Ammonia has been dropping from 4 to 1 in just over 24hrs. Have not seen any nitrites..nitrates are about 80

q2: Noticing algae on the walls and plants of my 20 gallon... how do you get rid of algae?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom