55 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stingray68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I Will be getting a 55 gallon this week so I was wondering what I should put in it. My mom wants angels so at least 3 angelfish. The fish have to be very colorful and not shy. Thanks

I'm not all that experienced, this is my second go around in three years, but I've done my research on angels because I want to have Angels so so so bad but haven't got a tank big enough yet, but I think 3 maybe 4 would be about the max I would do, angels need atleast 10 gallons per fish. I personally love mollies, lyretail mollies specifically. Their very lively and just plain beautiful in my opinion. You could also do platy's, I have two platy's right now a mickey mouse and a red way and I love them both. I love the contrast of the orange/red color with the black fins.

Discus! They are the best!! You'll be hard pressed to find more colorful fish in FW! Maybe peet moss pellets in your filter could soften your water

I keep discus and 1 angel in my 55 gal

Attachments

• image-3993212557.jpg
    image-3993212557.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image-4050614918.jpg
    image-4050614918.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 124
  • image-1053846512.jpg
    image-1053846512.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 74
  • image-4018892595.jpg
    image-4018892595.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3303055532.jpg
    image-3303055532.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 68
Stingray68 said:
Could I do?

2 angels

5 discus

A group of cardinal tetras

1 rhino pleco

If you are dead set on discus then i would reccomend only putting one in and then after a month if it survives then i would add the four others.

FishFanatic88 said:
If you are dead set on discus then i would reccomend only putting one in and then after a month if it survives then i would add the four others.

What I would is ad the pleco then tetras then angels and if every thing is good slowly add the discus

I wouldn't do Discus until you get some experience, start with the Angels and see how it goes. I would also not mix Angels with Discus, some might but I wouldn't chance it. The Pleco would be better added later on, there always better going into a tank that's been up and running for a while. Depending if your doing a fish in cycle or fishless cycle, I would add the Tetra first, wait for a while, then the Angels, then the Pleco - research the pleco, common Pleco's grow to monster sizes.

Last edited:
Stingray68 said:
It will be awhile before the discus get put in. I will make sure it is verrrrry established for them.

thats is good because it would be ashame to spent atleast 45$ for a fish and then have it die.

I agree to a degree with everyone saying you should be well established and everything but I don't think their is as much cause for concern as people think with discus. They definitely are more finicky or say temperamental to water conditions and everything then a lot of other FW fish but I believe that if your really up for the challenge and willing to take on the extra responsibilities that come with them I see no reason not to start with them

You just have to know that you will absolutely need to do way bigger and more frequent water changes then with most other freshies so u need to have a good system for you to be able to change the water with. I do 50% water change twice a week on mine sometimes more so they are a lot of work but I think the reward you get from the tank is equally as great partly because your proud of yourself for being able to do it and then the beautiful colors are striking.

I also always tell everyone my horror story of my pleco attacking my discus and sucking his slime coat right off of him so I always like to say I don't recommend them together but a lot of people do it mine was a common pleco maybe other types act differently

Jesselav1233 said:
I also always tell everyone my horror story of my pleco attacking my discus and sucking his slime coat right off of him so I always like to say I don't recommend them together but a lot of people do it mine was a common pleco maybe other types act differently

When i put thr discus in I will watch very careful for that.

What size tank do you have? What is your ph?

What size tank do you have? What is your ph?[/QUOTE]

55 gal tank 7 discus 1 angel 1 Betta 12 Priscilla (or something like that) tetras and 6 catfish I have a penguin bio wheel 350 and a 100 gallon UV filter. Try the discus be ready for lots of maintenance but try them if you think you're ready their personalities are great and they'll eat out of your hands! Hope this helps :) good luck

Edit: ph 6.2 ish

Also wanted to add they are a schooling fish so it's recommended to have 5 or more to keep their stress levels down. Over 5 is overstocked when they're full grown so you will have to upgrade or re home a few as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom