55 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to set up my empty 55 gallon tank again (already have an 87, 30, and 5 gallon setup). Anyway I wanted to hear some thoughts on what type of tank I should do! I have barbs, some skirt tetra, pictus cats, eels and kribensis cichlids in my 87. Smaller tetras, some corys, and a rainbowshark in my 30. The 5 gallon has some ADFs.

I am thinking for this new tank I like either angels or discus. Discus are super pricey so I am hesitant to blow hundreds of dollars on just 5-6 fish. ? I also reallllly like corys, but some smaller loaches could be cool. I ALSO really love rummy nose tetras, german blue rams and diamond tetras, none of which I already have.

What to do, what to do?! Let me know your thoughts and if there is maybe another fish I might be overlooking that could make a cool addition to a new tank!

I plan on using media from the canister filter on my 87 gallon in the new tank to speed up the cycle. Any thoughts on how long this might take on a large scale? I did it for my 30 gallon and it seemed to work pretty well!

Thanks! (Officially have MTS over here)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have heard and seen a few tanks that have angels AND discus. If that is something your interested in then research it. Sounds like the stock you want to have would go best with angels

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Discus aren't typically mixed because they are ultra sensitive, I wont attempt them.

I have wanted to do a large school of laser corries and diamond or lemon tetras I would also consider Buenos Aires tetra. I have been itching to do a large school of a larger tetra. you could put a koi angel in as a center piece.

Discus aren't typically mixed because they are ultra sensitive, I wont attempt them.

I have wanted to do a large school of laser corries and diamond or lemon tetras I would also consider Buenos Aires tetra. I have been itching to do a large school of a larger tetra. you could put a koi angel in as a center piece.

Discus scare me for price. I've been keeping freshwater tropical for a long time and feel I could handle the care and PWCs they need. But man do they cost a lot near me (and forget getting them shipped) I also like buenos aires tetra and lemon tetra....decisions decisions....also a giant school of neons would look amazing against the larger tetras :0

Oh and the dwarf rainbowfish with the red fins....need to research those however, for sturdiness and health because I've had bad luck with "dwarf" fish staying healthy when my other fish are fine....

I want to set up my empty 55 gallon tank again (already have an 87, 30, and 5 gallon setup). Anyway I wanted to hear some thoughts on what type of tank I should do! I have barbs, some skirt tetra, pictus cats, eels and kribensis cichlids in my 87. Smaller tetras, some corys, and a rainbowshark in my 30. The 5 gallon has some ADFs.

I am thinking for this new tank I like either angels or discus. Discus are super pricey so I am hesitant to blow hundreds of dollars on just 5-6 fish. ? I also reallllly like corys, but some smaller loaches could be cool. I ALSO really love rummy nose tetras, german blue rams and diamond tetras, none of which I already have.

What to do, what to do?! Let me know your thoughts and if there is maybe another fish I might be overlooking that could make a cool addition to a new tank!

I plan on using media from the canister filter on my 87 gallon in the new tank to speed up the cycle. Any thoughts on how long this might take on a large scale? I did it for my 30 gallon and it seemed to work pretty well!

Thanks! (Officially have MTS over here)

Maybe you could do a pair of rams, an angelfish,school of rummys or diamonds,and kuhli loaches or cories

Fishobsessed7

I love all those fish. Probably at least two angels though....yes?

Discus scare me for price. I've been keeping freshwater tropical for a long time and feel I could handle the care and PWCs they need. But man do they cost a lot near me (and forget getting them shipped) I also like buenos aires tetra and lemon tetra....decisions decisions....also a giant school of neons would look amazing against the larger tetras :0

Discus can be pricey but that does depend more on their size. In regards to shipping, are you located in the US ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Although I have done Discus and Angels together, I wouldn't advise it as a first time. As the Angels get more mature they can become quite aggressive.

Also, fwiw with Angels, I've always found it best to start with three so if any aggression does happen with them, you could take the bad one out and have some peace. Just my experience and opinion.

I just had a very aggressive black lace Angel. I have 3 other that I had no problem with. I put this Angel in the hospital tank for a few days (I was going to rehome him) and decided to try putting him back in my show tank after rearranging. It worked perfectly because there were no set territories and no aggression from the angels. They are all about and inch and a half, but so far so good!

Discus can be pricey but that does depend more on their size. In regards to shipping, are you located in the US ?

I am in California...I had heard that discus were harder to keep as juvies (and hence less expensive)...?

I also read that for both species it's best to get at least 5 so if there is aggression with one it is dispersed....the discus sites state that in particular (more so than with angels)

I am in California...I had heard that discus were harder to keep as juvies (and hence less expensive)...?

I also read that for both species it's best to get at least 5 so if there is aggression with one it is dispersed....the discus sites state that in particular (more so than with angels)

I wouldn't exactly say that they're harder to keep as juvies, IMO/E. They do require a lot more work in that stage of their life. More frequent feeding/WC schedule is the only thing that I've ever learned to do that makes them happiest. Also, IMO/E, unless you're getting true wild caught, or trying to breed them, water hardness isn't really a factor. The single most important factor with Discus (as with most any other fish) is consistency as opposed to near perfect water chemistry.

I do purchase mine from an importer in Cali myself and all fish and transactions have been flawless !!! I'm on the other side of the country and although shipping is a bit pricey, I wouldn't change it at all. I can think of 3 that I would order from and a couple handfuls that I would steer way clear of.

I do agree 5 or more for the Discus is a definite, but would disagree for that on the Angels. Also with the Discus, at least 10 gal per adult and therefore at least a 55g tank. 5 in a planted tank with substrate, 6 in a bb since there is some water volume loss with the substrate. Even in optimal tank sizes/conditions there could be some aggression from one to another. I have one that for whatever reason, just does not like one of my APD's. It's the way it is, it's the way it goes, lol.

I just had a very aggressive black lace Angel. I have 3 other that I had no problem with. I put this Angel in the hospital tank for a few days (I was going to rehome him) and decided to try putting him back in my show tank after rearranging. It worked perfectly because there were no set territories and no aggression from the angels. They are all about and inch and a half, but so far so good!

That's always a 50/50 chance of that happening and you got pretty lucky. Glad it worked out and good luck with them.

You could always do a pair of german blue Rams, yo yo loaches, maybe a bristlenose pleco and maybe a nice large school of pristella or silver tip tetras. Or if no loaches then I'd go a nice school of Cory cats :)

You could always do a pair of german blue Rams, yo yo loaches, maybe a bristlenose pleco and maybe a nice large school of pristella or silver tip tetras. Or if no loaches then I'd go a nice school of Cory cats :)

I'm most probably going to do a couple angels and german blues. Then either corys or loaches for the bottom and a couple small schools of tetra (rummy nose for sure will be one) ....I'm so torn... And I have to decide on plants! I'm going to take the light from my 87 and put it on the 55 and get a better light for the bigger tank ....probably a finnex planted + or a beamswork?

So an update on my stocking ideas...I am going to be updating my 30 gallon to the empty 55 gallon I already have. So I have about 10 each of amber tetras and neon tetras, a red tailed shark, and 7 cory cats. I'm thinking about adding either 2 or 4 angelfish (I was originally thinking of doing 6, but I want to add some other schooling smallish tetra too so we will see) I will have double the filtration and eventually it will be heavily planted with driftwood. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom