55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rach_ziem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 55 gallon tank that I've set up and cycled. It's 48x21x12 inches.

I have a few fish in mind that I was looking at to put in and a few that I'm nor sure about.
I want to include these fish
Mollies
Platies
Neon tetras
Dwarf Gourami

I was also looking at tiger barbs and a rainbow shark. I would get 8 yo 10 tiger barbs to limit their aggression and I would really like them. I think the shark would be cool to add in as long at it wouldn't eat my neons.

Please give me your thoughts on my selection and ideas or tips

Rainbow sharks tend to get aggressive with size. I haven't had great luck with tiger barbs either.

Rest of the stock looks good, stick with one gourami.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you give the Shark a good cave to guard at one end that may become it's territory. That way they can be snarky and the other fish can live without too much harassment. AFAIK Rainbows aren't as mean as Redtaileds.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you give the Shark a good cave to guard at one end that may become it's territory. That way they can be snarky and the other fish can live without too much harassment. AFAIK Rainbows aren't as mean as Redtaileds.

Mine is very aggressive. Similar to red tails if not identical. Lots of accounts on these forums of how they can be. Mine lives with cichlids and chases them some.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I own a Red Tail Shark that is nearly two years old. He does not live up to his aggressive description and only chased a couple of cories for a few days when they were 1st introduced. The cories and shark now live happily together and the shark only flares his fins a little bit when competing for food. I have no idea about rainbow sharks, but I can tell you that the Red Tail is one of the most misunderstood and interesting fish I've ever owned.

I have a rainbow shark who is great, personality and compatibility wise. He spends his time in a 40 gallon breeder with community fish, grazing algae and chasing the Bolivian Ram out of is territory in a herding method. When I got him I had a BBA invasion and was hoping he would eat it, within a week all of the BBA was gone.

So I have a 55 gallon tank that I've set up and cycled. It's 48x21x12 inches.

I have a few fish in mind that I was looking at to put in and a few that I'm nor sure about.

I want to include these fish

Mollies

Platies

Neon tetras

Dwarf Gourami

I was also looking at tiger barbs and a rainbow shark. I would get 8 yo 10 tiger barbs to limit their aggression and I would really like them. I think the shark would be cool to add in as long at it wouldn't eat my neons.

Please give me your thoughts on my selection and ideas or tips

Hi that's a very nice combination. My mom has those exact fish with a few fancy tail guppies! Looks good with all the colors

Also she has a few neons and Priscilla's but No sharks or other fish lol

Back
Top Bottom