55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leopardshark20

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,

Just upgraded from a little 10 gallon to a 55 gallon tank. We have a couple of ideas for stocking it but we aren’t sure what would work. Our goal for the 55 is to create a planted community tank that would be ok with 5 cardinal tetras and 2 platies that are in my 10 gallon. If you all could share your ideas that would be great! (Pictures work too!)

You should get more catdinal tetras to school. If you want something at the bottom I suggest corydoras or a couple of bristlenose plecos. Other small plecos work as well, just stay away from common plecos....they get huge.

Is it a tall tank or long? If it's long swordtails get pretty big and the males have a sword on their tail, if it's tall you might be able to have an angel fish. Some Angel's get mean so watch for that. Gourami are also cute. Depends what you are looking for.

I am not fond of the idea of a centerpiece fish. Virtually all fish are social and do better in schools or shoals. To put one big fish in a tank as a centerpiece is maybe not cruel, but inappropriate, in my opinion. For dead flowers in a vase, that's fine, but not fish. A couple of angels or gouramis would work. Pearl gouramis are peaceful and attractive. But at least 2 or 3, please.

I'd go with around 16 Cardinals.

There's a few dwarf cichlids that would work.

i would recommend to up your cardinals to 10-20. after that there are a wide range of "centerpiece" fish available. angels and gouramis are a big go to. i personally like gouramis more. i think 3 or 4 pearl gouramis would look great. 3-5 angels would also be nice. apistogrammas or rams would also work. you may also want to think about some topwater fish or bottom dwellers. top water you could look at hatchet fish and for bottom look at corydoras and oto catfish.

Its not overstocked but i do see some issues. The rams don't like a super amount of activity and they may feel threatened by larger fish like rainbow fish. They may hide alot with the rainbows around. Also rainbows should be kept in groups of 6 or more. Also rainbows like warmer water then most of your other species do so that may also be a large factor. With rainbows you also want a 4 foot long tank or longer. Take out the rainbows and up your cardinals to say 16 like king said and up your galaxy rasboras( redefined as celestial pearl danios) to 10-12 and you should be good. With this setup I would recommend planting as heavy as you can and give your fish places to hide.

Back
Top Bottom