55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leopardshark20

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,
I am in the process of starting my 55 gallon up. My filter is a Marineland Emperor 400 and I do a 33% water change every other week. Right now I have 2 female platies, 6 long-fin zebra danios, and 5 cardinal tetras in the tank. Here is my plan for the final tank:

2 platies
6 Long-fin Zebra Danios
12 Cardinal Tetras
A pair of German Rams
A pair of Honey Gouramis
2 Female Dwarf Gouramis
4 Reticulated Loaches
Lots of Plants

Is this a good plan? Could I add more? Should I take something out?

Thanks in Advance!

Hello Leo...

Do your homework on the fish you've selected, to make sure they'll get along. Any fish small enough to fit into another's mouth is potentially lunch. I'm thinking of the Tetras and the Gouramis. You can keep more fish as long as you're willing to remove and replace most of the tank water every few days. This will guarantee a steady water chemistry and that's all the fish need.

B

German blue rams are a menace when they spawn. Even in a 55 I think its asking for trouble, especially with the reticulated loaches packing sharp spines. A fight could end badly.

Just thought that I’d say that I have completely finished the tank now and here is what is inside:
A pair of female platies
A pair of German blue rams
A pair of honey gouramis
A pair of reticulated loaches
A school of 11 cardinal tetras
I do a 30-40% water change every other week and have experienced no problems

Back
Top Bottom