55 Gallon Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Guys :)

It's another question about stocking my tank

It is about 53 gallons (200 Litres) and has been set up for about 5 weeks. This is my plan for stocking:

10 Bleeding Heart Tetras
15 Rummynose Tetras
8 Cherry Barbs
12 Julii Corydoras
2 Kribensis OR 3 Bolivian Rams
2 x Honey Gourami
(Would I be able to do a trio of otto catfish as well? I know they can be sensitive as I owned them in a previous tank)

Substrate - Sand (Mainly for the cories)

Filter - I have a Fluval U4 Internal Filter which came with the tank and I am unable to afford a better filter. :(

I think this may be overstocked but I don't know :confused:

My pH is about 7.2 and apparently is quite soft (According to my LFS though my water is quite low in pH and hardness but my testing is more neutral/alkaline not acidic) :confused:

I will do weekly 25% PWC per week, would I need to do it differently?

I currently have:

6 Julii Corydoras (I know they probably shouldn't be in the tank yet, but my LFS said they would be ok)
6 Bleeding Heart Tetras
4 x Cherry Barbs
2 x Honey Gourami

They have been added gradually, not all at once

The cycle has been done with TSS, and I am hoping it should be done in the next few days.

I do have an API test kit

The tank is planted

I am open to any suggestions for stocking that go with what I already have. The plan may be overstocked, i am not sure. I love kribs and Bolivian rams, but I need to choose one, so which one is better? I know the kribs can be kind of aggressive if they decide to spawn, and I don't have a spare tank for any fry, but I guess they will get eaten even if the parents gaurd them well (Particuarly with my Bleeding hearts!)

Would I be able to add more cories onto the bottom?

:thanks:

Why do you want 3 Bolivians? I recommend getting just 2. I have not owned kribs before, I went with Bolivians for my community because kribs in communities don't always seem to work out. But, thats up to you.
I don't suggest adding more cories. I actually starting with like 8 cories and then seeing if your Bolivains pair up, and if so, how they react to cories. It should be ok with that much floor space, but a pair of rams can make a cory's life unpleasant if the rams decide to. Besides, it would be easy enough to add more cories later if you think they would get all get along down there. Stocking slowly doesn't hurt. :)
Do you have a good test kit for your water parameters?
I think your stock sounds ok, but it will be on the full side. So, make sure to keep up with the water changes. Personally, I would cut it back to like 10 rummies to make room for the otos, and only like 8 bleeding hearts.

Thanks. I just heard a lot of people adding 3 bolivian rams, it seemed quite popular. If I didn't add the rams, would I be able to stick with the 12 cories?

I do love the rams. My Dad used to keep a pair of kribs in his small community tank no problem, but they never decided to spawn.

I have an API Liquid test kit.

Also, unrelated to stocking. One of my cories seems to have a torn dorsal fin, and I get the immpression based on my bleeding hearts behaviour, that they could have been nipping him. I don't think he was like that when I got them.

The annoying thing is that I don't think my LFS in the area seem to do Bolivan rams, so I may have to order some in when I am ready to get some

Thanks

I'd go With exactly what absolut said.

8 Bleeding Heart Tetras
10 Rummynose Tetras
8 Cherry Barbs
8 Julii Corydoras
2 Bolivian Rams
2 Honey Gouramis

8 is plenty for a shoal in that sized tank, but like absolut said- that allows you to get Otos- which are a must for planted tanks- they eat hair algae off the plants constantly. I would get 5 as they are also shoaling. 1 per 10 gallons in a planted is what I always think.

As far as the nipping- when you have more bleeding hearts, they might feel a hair more comfortable and not mess with 8 cories. Also adding more fish would help their behavior (as long as you aren't overstocked). But be prepared to remove them if they act up still. Make sure you watch your tank and catch them in the act (if thats who is to blame)

Add the bleeding hearts and cories next. Then the cherries. Then Otos. Then Bolivians.

Thanks! I like that stocking plan. I guess I should just keep an eye on that cory's fin to make sure it is ok?

Thats great, thanks a lot :) I will go with that :)

Thanks again

Just a quick question, do Bolivian Rams pair off like kribs?

Thanks. I just heard a lot of people adding 3 bolivian rams, it seemed quite popular. If I didn't add the rams, would I be able to stick with the 12 cories?

I do love the rams. My Dad used to keep a pair of kribs in his small community tank no problem, but they never decided to spawn.

I have an API Liquid test kit.

Also, unrelated to stocking. One of my cories seems to have a torn dorsal fin, and I get the immpression based on my bleeding hearts behaviour, that they could have been nipping him. I don't think he was like that when I got them.

The annoying thing is that I don't think my LFS in the area seem to do Bolivan rams, so I may have to order some in when I am ready to get some

Thanks
If I was you, I would add 3 Bolivians and see who gets along and be aware that you may have to re-home one if they bicker. Females don't always play nice with each other, but my males have always left each other mostly alone and just each went and selected their own different cave/territory. Hopefully they will all get along be happy. :)
If you didn't add rams, you will be fine with 12 cories. I do suggest the rams though because they show some really great behaviors and are really fun to watch. :)
Hopefully the bleeding hearts will chill out if you add 2 more to their school. Another thing to try is turning off the lights and re-arranging the stuffing the stuff in the tank to disrupt territorial boundaries that the fish might be following. If you continue to have issues, see if you can find the offender and you can try to trade it in at your lfs for a different one.
Yes, Bolivians usually pair off like kribs do. :)

Thank you so much :) I do love german blue rams etc, but I guess they will probably be to hard for me! Do the Bolivians need caves like kribs? It is a shame that I cannot find bolivians around here. German blue, green, electric blue rams etc and kribs but no bolivians :(

I still love kribs but from this info it seems that the bolivians may be the way to go :)

Gbr can be ok if you are able to find good stock. A lot of the gbr commonly available in the trade are weak and poorly bred which increases their sensitivity level and gives rise to their reputation as being difficult keepers. If you are interested in them, I suggest you ask you lfs where their gbr come from. Locally bred rams are a plus because they will be used to water similar to yours. Honestly, some people have awesome luck with them and will swear they are not that sensitive while other people have healthy looking fish drop dead in pristine water for no apparent reason. A lot of it does seem to be about good stock though, so if you can't find find stock, I don't suggest spending the money on them. But, its worth looking into if you are interested in them. :)
All the dwarf cichilds I have ever owned like caves. :) I use terra cotta pots for my Bolivians. Some choose pots, some choose a territory underneath a plant. Its always a good idea to offer them a cave though. :)
Kribs versus Bolivains is up to you. Like I said, when I researched it I found too many stories of it not working out for me to be comfortable with the idea, but I know lots of people do have success with it. But hey, I love my rams, so it worked out fine for me. :)

Ok thanks! I will ask around so I have an idea of what I can get. I love the electric blue rams, so I will ask all of the LFS in the area. :)

It sounds like a type of ram is the way to go. If I cannot find any, I guess I could try Kribs, but I guess it's a risk

I have been thinking about species that I can put in the tank. I don't think I will go with the rams.

Would this work

2 x honey gourami
8 x Cherry barbs
8 x Bleeding heart Tetras
12 x harlequins
10 x julii cories
5 ottos

If I have it like this, will I be able go add 6-8 marbled hatchets or increase the number of one of the shoals?

I don't know if this is overstocked? If it isn't overstocked does it sound like a good combination?

I have been thinking about species that I can put in the tank. I don't think I will go with the rams.

Would this work

2 x honey gourami
8 x Cherry barbs
8 x Bleeding heart Tetras
12 x harlequins
10 x julii cories
5 ottos

If I have it like this, will I be able go add 6-8 marbled hatchets or increase the number of one of the shoals?

I don't know if this is overstocked? If it isn't overstocked does it sound like a good combination?

Just so you know, its easier to help you if you only start one stocking thread at a time. :)
IMO, those species are fine, but I suggest starting out with only like 6-8 of each and then adding more if you think they will all get along and to make sure the water parameters hold up. I think that you have the space for the hatchets without the Bolivians, but in order for the water to stay nice, you may have to stick with only like 8-10 harlies. I saw you asked about rummies on your other thread. I think rummies would be fine, but I think harlies would look nicer since they swim higher in the tank than rummies do. :)
Some people think 4 schools in a tank is too many, and some are fine with it. So, it depends on your personal preference while looking at the tank. I think those species are all compatable, just watch the water params. :)
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thats ok for a basic dea if you want, but there are quite a few factors that it doesn't tale into account, so I do not advise using it as the final word in stocking. Just so you know. :)

No doubt. Plants being a huge consideration. ;)

Thanks!

I just can't seem to find a stock list that I am actually happy with :( I may just stick with my orginal plan and the harlequins instead of the rummies

Yeah, you're right, I'm not sure I want that many schools. The hatchets are not something that need to be on the list, but I do like them, cos they are something a bit different to the rest :)

Thanks

Sorry, it's a slighly different plan AGAIN!!! Sorry about this

Simular though:

8 x Bleeding Hearts
8 x Cherry Barbs
2 x Kribensis
2 x Honey Gourami
5 x Otto
10 x Harlequins
8 x Julii Cory

Sorry about this!

I think that sounds fine. :) Be watchful of the kribs with the honeys. Paired fish are the ones that cause issues, so if you end up with 2 pairs of spawning fish, they will sometimes be pretty mean to each other. I doubt it will be an issue since these fish will claim different areas though. Just keep an eye on it. :)

Back
Top Bottom