55 Gallon Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrystalBugFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

I'm researching fish options for my soon-to-be 55 gallon fresh water tank. I don't just hop into things!

Now I've done lots of research on these various species, and of course there are many dos and don'ts. Plus many success stories and some not so successful.
But I believe if each fish species needs and happiness needs are taken into account and possible to achieve, everything will be just fine!

So here's what I'm thinking,

First off, I plan to increase my filtration from the one Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 power filter to accomodate everyone. Is this filter adequate for a 55 gallon like they say or should I upgrade?
No live plants for now, just fake. I have real wood to put into the tank. I plan to do a mixture of smooth pebbles and sand.

Boesamani Rainbowfish. I've read that a school of 6 or 8 is when they are happiest. So I'm thinking 8 or so, but 6 would probably be more realistic. For them, room to swim openly and yet plants for cover.

Red Tailed Shark. Only 1 of these guys due to their territorial behaviour. Provided with lots of caves/hidey places to call his/her own and also vegetation.

Ropefish. I've read that these guys are actually very social and love to be in groups of 3 or more. I've also read that they can grow very long, but rarely over 3'. Just over a foot is more common. So provide them with lots of tubes and tunnels to hide in and plants.

Lastly,
I was planning on having a school of Giant Danios. I've read they are happiest in schools of 6 or more. Since they grow to be similar size to the rainbows and the shark, I don't figure a problem.
Since they are so active and occupy the top and mid range of the tank, I figure they should be okay sharing the space with the rainbows nicely.
I don't see them having any issues with the decor chosen to accommodate the other guys.

I'm open to thoughts! I realize that this might be over stocking the tank so I'm willing to reconsider species. Ultimately I want the fish to be happy and healthy, so if I can't accommodate their schooling needs or solitary needs then I'll rethink everything.
But I want second opinions at this point, before I go ahead with anything. I'm all about the animals needs being met.

Thank you guys! It's a pleasure to be part of this forum!

Boesmani Rainbows get pretty big, like 4-5 inches for the males and a little smaller for the females. That's more than enough for 55 gallons when the rainbows grow to adult size. While they are small, you can add other fish, though, like the danios. In any case, I'd stop there.

Take it slow when adding the fish. I started my 55 gallon mid October and only just added my last (planned) fish. It's a tad under stocked so I have room if something should catch my eye. I have a Forza 7 canister filter. So ridiculously quiet!!

First I added a school of seven Zebra Danios. Shortly after that a Betta caught my eye. They did very well together. The Zebra Danios primarily inhabit the surface, but chase each other around all over.

Next three Clown Loaches. I prefer odd numbers for my schools and shoals. I've read a few places that they prefer that. [Shrug]. My LFS assures me they won't exceed 6 inches, that they are a small breed. They hang out button to mid level.

I picked up a Yellow Mystery Snail for a couple of bucks intending him as a snack for them, but they ignored him, he is growing very quickly, and I've become quite attached to him. If they pay him much mind I'll evacuate him to my 20 gallon tank. He goes all over the place.

This weekend I added a Blue Eyed Lemon Bristlenose Pleco.

My tank is fully planted, has stone caves and driftwood. The Clown Loaches and the Pleco enjoy their hiding places.

1485089518041.jpg

Im not familiar with the specs on the aqueon hob. My hob of choice is AC. But typically gph are exagerated and measured without a load. General rule of thumb is 8-10x turnover. Red tails and rainbows are heavy waste fish so consider that.

Imo its hard to over filter unless the fauna cant handle the flow. Im a fan of multiple smaller filters vs one bigger one. Lots of advantages. One breaks, extra bio to cycle new tank, extra chemical, less dead spots.

Rope fish especially would appreciate a planted tank.

I know diddley squat about most of the fish on your stocking list, so won't comment on your plans. I will say, however, that a friend has several ropefish in a species tank, and they're super cool fish, and very interactive with their owner.

Hi everyone!

I'm researching fish options for my soon-to-be 55 gallon fresh water tank. I don't just hop into things!

Now I've done lots of research on these various species, and of course there are many dos and don'ts. Plus many success stories and some not so successful.
But I believe if each fish species needs and happiness needs are taken into account and possible to achieve, everything will be just fine!

So here's what I'm thinking,

First off, I plan to increase my filtration from the one Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 power filter to accomodate everyone. Is this filter adequate for a 55 gallon like they say or should I upgrade?
No live plants for now, just fake. I have real wood to put into the tank. I plan to do a mixture of smooth pebbles and sand.

Boesamani Rainbowfish. I've read that a school of 6 or 8 is when they are happiest. So I'm thinking 8 or so, but 6 would probably be more realistic. For them, room to swim openly and yet plants for cover.

Red Tailed Shark. Only 1 of these guys due to their territorial behaviour. Provided with lots of caves/hidey places to call his/her own and also vegetation.

Ropefish. I've read that these guys are actually very social and love to be in groups of 3 or more. I've also read that they can grow very long, but rarely over 3'. Just over a foot is more common. So provide them with lots of tubes and tunnels to hide in and plants.

Lastly,
I was planning on having a school of Giant Danios. I've read they are happiest in schools of 6 or more. Since they grow to be similar size to the rainbows and the shark, I don't figure a problem.
Since they are so active and occupy the top and mid range of the tank, I figure they should be okay sharing the space with the rainbows nicely.
I don't see them having any issues with the decor chosen to accommodate the other guys.

I'm open to thoughts! I realize that this might be over stocking the tank so I'm willing to reconsider species. Ultimately I want the fish to be happy and healthy, so if I can't accommodate their schooling needs or solitary needs then I'll rethink everything.
But I want second opinions at this point, before I go ahead with anything. I'm all about the animals needs being met.

Thank you guys! It's a pleasure to be part of this forum!
Like the ideas! I have Bosemani, as well as turquoise and Australian rainbows and they all hang out together. You could mix and match but they do get large and will get a tad aggressive at times I've noticed. I love Rainbow/Red Tail sharks. I got rid of mine though cause he got super aggressive and was bullying my cory cats. My sister has one twice the size and is very friendly though. As for filtration I would recommend a canister over a HOB. Changing filter pads and buying more gets old, plus a cannister will do alot more work and better the water flow. You can get a SunSun for like $60 these days.

Like the ideas! I have Bosemani, as well as turquoise and Australian rainbows and they all hang out together. You could mix and match but they do get large and will get a tad aggressive at times I've noticed. I love Rainbow/Red Tail sharks. I got rid of mine though cause he got super aggressive and was bullying my cory cats. My sister has one twice the size and is very friendly though. As for filtration I would recommend a canister over a HOB. Changing filter pads and buying more gets old, plus a cannister will do alot more work and better the water flow. You can get a SunSun for like $60 these days.

Yeah I researched that the rainbows do get pretty big. I read that they do do best in a school. So I was thinking of getting a few.
I'm just concerned that I may be overstocking if I get all of them?

Yeah I researched that the rainbows do get pretty big. I read that they do do best in a school. So I was thinking of getting a few.
I'm just concerned that I may be overstocking if I get all of them?
Even more of a reason to have better filtration. Rule of thumb I have always heard is 1in of fish per gallon. 6 rainbows with 4in potential would be about half your stock.

One inch rule is kind of outdated. The problem is it does not account for the fishes activity or waste.

As for filtration I would recommend a canister over a HOB. Changing filter pads and buying more gets old, plus a cannister will do alot more work and better the water flow. You can get a SunSun for like $60 these days.

Something like this; "SunSun 4-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-Watt UV Sterilizer for Aquarium, 370 GPH, Good for up to 100 gallon fish tanks, Pump power: 35w" ?
Or is that overkill? Also, any flakes of knowledge on how often these filters need to be switched out? I'm still in the process of researching different filters.

Something like this; "SunSun 4-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-Watt UV Sterilizer for Aquarium, 370 GPH, Good for up to 100 gallon fish tanks, Pump power: 35w" ?
Or is that overkill? Also, any flakes of knowledge on how often these filters need to be switched out? I'm still in the process of researching different filters.
No such thing as overkill with filtration

I currently have
3 Boesmans Rainbows
3 Parkinsons Rainbows
5 Black skirt tetras
10 serpae Tetras
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Pitcus Catfish
In a 60 gallon aquarium with a Cascade 1200 filter.

It's not overcrowded, water is perfect, fish are all healthy.

Rainbows are great fish, I love 'em.

Back
Top Bottom