Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

55 gallon tank for rope fish?

Hello Everyone,

At some point, I would not mind owning a tank that can accomplish the following goals:

1: It can support two rope fish.
2: I would perfer to have 5 schooling fish in the tank as well...such as tiger barbs (assuming the rope fish won't eat them) .... silver dollars would be nice as well but I think they might get too big....
3: another species of fish....I will have to decide on later.

I would like to accomplish this with a 55 gallon tank if possible; however, I understand this combination violates the 1 gallon per inch of fish rule....is a 75 gallon tank the best way to go?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Old 06-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I'd say that'd be wayyy overstocked, rope fish can get 2ft or longer I believe, some say to keep them in a 150G minimum, as for tiger barbs I'm not sure, silver dollars would get too big for that tank, I used to have 2 that were 6-7 inches each.

You could do other things with the 55 but your limited with space for one(footprint of tank). And you also want fish that grow pretty big lol. I'd say go with the 75G and rethink your plan

Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, the biggest priority is getting a tank that can support a couple of rope fish....so I should plan on getting a 150 gallon tank if I plan on doing this? From what I have read, people seem to recommend a 55 gallon as a minimum....and 75 gallon as preferable for keeping rope fish....???
Old 06-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkster
Well, the biggest priority is getting a tank that can support a couple of rope fish....so I should plan on getting a 150 gallon tank if I plan on doing this? From what I have read, people seem to recommend a 55 gallon as a minimum....and 75 gallon as preferable for keeping rope fish....???
I'd ask people that know me about them, I'm just going off of what I've heard, may not be true but its stuff I've heard more than once

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, fish, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com