Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

55 gallon tank stock ideas

I am looking to do a hardscape only 55 tank. The tank is set up and cycled, has been for 2 months. Lol. Work has finally slowed down enough to allow me to have the time to stock the tank and monitor it. Any ideas? The only inhabitants are 5 or so endler hybrids and some tiny snails from when I had duck weed.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWade View Post
I am looking to do a hardscape only 55 tank. The tank is set up and cycled, has been for 2 months. Lol. Work has finally slowed down enough to allow me to have the time to stock the tank and monitor it. Any ideas? The only inhabitants are 5 or so endler hybrids and some tiny snails from when I had duck weed.
I would say do some African cichlids. They're fun and full of life!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Forgot to mention, it's a open water type hard scape. A few pieces of driftwood and a bridge that I've had in every tank since I was 7. Lol.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post

I would say do some African cichlids. They're fun and full of life!
If I were a cichlids fan I would. Lol. But I'm one of the odd few that's not into them...I appreciate the idea though.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

If I were a cichlids fan I would. Lol. But I'm one of the odd few that's not into them...I appreciate the idea though.
Haha yup. Im strictly a cichlid guy so I don't have much other ideas. Good luck though! Post pics when you're all done!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post

Haha yup. Im strictly a cichlid guy so I don't have much other ideas. Good luck though! Post pics when you're all done!
Appreciate it pard. And I for sure will. I haven't seen many people with non cichlid tanks the way I'm doing so it might be a little different.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I just finished my 55 gallon cycle, I am going to have three schools

5 Cherry barbs
5 Diamond Tetras
5 Rainbow boesemani
2 Angelfish
1 Stripped Raphael Catfish.

Aqadvisor really helped, with that stocking I am at 105% (adult) stocking and a little over 100 % on my filtration.

I have the barbs and Tetras in now will slowly introduce the Boesemani's and then sometime in july I will add two Angelfish.

I like to have some schools of fish, I am not a big fan of tanks with 1 or 2 of something and 10 different kinds.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

You should do angels- 2 pairs would be good, or if they are unpaired just four would still be good. I say add a GIGANTIC school of cories to the bottom.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would get albino cory's, a school of cardinals and a pair of blue rams. Just those wouldn't have you fully stocked so you could add some more to that list, but that's just a few ideas.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #10

I have done some more research and I think I would like to start a endler colony. With my dark substrate, I had intentions on planting it previously, and the dark wall behind it I believe the little guys would pop amazingly.

Would I have to plant it to have them? Or could I just add more DW and use that as the cover instead of plants?

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, stock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com