55 gallon tank stock ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildWade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to do a hardscape only 55 tank. The tank is set up and cycled, has been for 2 months. Lol. Work has finally slowed down enough to allow me to have the time to stock the tank and monitor it. Any ideas? The only inhabitants are 5 or so endler hybrids and some tiny snails from when I had duck weed.

I am looking to do a hardscape only 55 tank. The tank is set up and cycled, has been for 2 months. Lol. Work has finally slowed down enough to allow me to have the time to stock the tank and monitor it. Any ideas? The only inhabitants are 5 or so endler hybrids and some tiny snails from when I had duck weed.

I would say do some African cichlids. They're fun and full of life!

Forgot to mention, it's a open water type hard scape. A few pieces of driftwood and a bridge that I've had in every tank since I was 7. Lol.

I would say do some African cichlids. They're fun and full of life!

If I were a cichlids fan I would. Lol. But I'm one of the odd few that's not into them...I appreciate the idea though. :)

If I were a cichlids fan I would. Lol. But I'm one of the odd few that's not into them...I appreciate the idea though. :)

Haha yup. Im strictly a cichlid guy so I don't have much other ideas. Good luck though! Post pics when you're all done!

Haha yup. Im strictly a cichlid guy so I don't have much other ideas. Good luck though! Post pics when you're all done!

Appreciate it pard. And I for sure will. I haven't seen many people with non cichlid tanks the way I'm doing so it might be a little different.

I just finished my 55 gallon cycle, I am going to have three schools

5 Cherry barbs
5 Diamond Tetras
5 Rainbow boesemani
2 Angelfish
1 Stripped Raphael Catfish.

Aqadvisor really helped, with that stocking I am at 105% (adult) stocking and a little over 100 % on my filtration.

I have the barbs and Tetras in now will slowly introduce the Boesemani's and then sometime in july I will add two Angelfish.

I like to have some schools of fish, I am not a big fan of tanks with 1 or 2 of something and 10 different kinds.

You should do angels- 2 pairs would be good, or if they are unpaired just four would still be good. I say add a GIGANTIC school of cories to the bottom.

I would get albino cory's, a school of cardinals and a pair of blue rams. Just those wouldn't have you fully stocked so you could add some more to that list, but that's just a few ideas.

I have done some more research and I think I would like to start a endler colony. With my dark substrate, I had intentions on planting it previously, and the dark wall behind it I believe the little guys would pop amazingly. :)

Would I have to plant it to have them? Or could I just add more DW and use that as the cover instead of plants?

Back
Top Bottom