55g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's all good:) I just have a random selection of fish that I've accumulated and want to go in the 55g.

The light fixture is a T5HO.

I'll tell you that you have essentially 2 watts per gallon of T5HO on that 55g. That is in the medium to high range as far as I know. That range would grow almost anything you would ever want. However I'm not 100% sure about this because I've ever had T5HO.

adadkins1 said:
I'll tell you that you have essentially 2 watts per gallon of T5HO on that 55g. That is in the medium to high range as far as I know. That range would grow almost anything you would ever want. However I'm not 100% sure about this because I've ever had T5HO.

Ok, that's great to hear! Thanks for that:). I'm going to go look around and see what I can find.

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

As you can see from the second chart, a 2 bulb T5HO fixture is going to be medium to high light depending on the distance from the substrate. Since 55g's are 21" tall, use the 20" row on the chart. This shows you that if you have it on top of the tank or 4" away you will have high light. If you have the bulbs a foot from the top of the tank you get medium light. This is where things get iffy if you don't want to worry about CO2 and dosing ferts. Hopefully somebody else with more T5HO experience will chime in.

adadkins1 said:
PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

As you can see from the second chart, a 2 bulb T5HO fixture is going to be medium to high light depending on the distance from the substrate. Since 55g's are 21" tall, use the 20" row on the chart. This shows you that if you have it on top of the tank or 4" away you will have high light. If you have the bulbs a foot from the top of the tank you get medium light. This is where things get iffy if you don't want to worry about CO2 and dosing ferts. Hopefully somebody else with more T5HO experience will chime in.

That was exactly what I was looking for:). Thanks for posting that! I hope some one will chime in, I'll look on other threads as well for information. If all else fails then I'll start a thread on the lighting. Thank you so much. Your help has been so useful and so great to have!

I just went to the pet store, its new and there are very few people that go there, and they have a 75g tank up for a raffle! I put my name in there. I plan on going back tomorrow and putting in my mother's and then my father's and then my sister's name. No there is nothing against this so I'm doing it! So excited:) Hopefully I'll when, because if I do then I'm having it take the place of my 55! Fingers crossed.

Ok so I didn't win the tank:p. However I did get a lot of new fish this weekend!!! There was a huge sale at my favorite aquarium store and so I stocked up. I got 2 angels, 7 diamond tetras (had gotten cardinals but something ate them? I don't know I had 7 and then only was able to return 4), 7 ember tetras (12g), 7 chili rasboras (8g), 1 male betta (for my mother), and a Nerite snail. My 55 is on it's way!

I have a question, I was Originally going to get 20 cardinals and since I switched to diamonds where does that leave me fish wise?

Also and plant suggestions? I did get some moneywort, would that be ok? I think I want some vals and crypts, but I don't want all background plants...

Back
Top Bottom