55g. tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarianewby39

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55g. fish tank tthat I recieved from a friend that I play hockey with and it came with 3 angels, one kissing gourami, and an orange barb. Idd like to turn this tank into a south american cichlid tank but idk if the fish in there now will be compatitable with SA cichlids like JD and oscars.
PLEASE HELP!:thanks:

Kool, a free 55 :D. An oscar needs 55g on their own as a minimum requirment so you would have to rehome your friends fish and only have a single oscar in the tank. Did it come with a filter, if so what is it?

Last edited:
Sorry im at school:facepalm:
Well I was gonna get them small then wait til they got bigger but not fully grownthen rehome them or sell them. Yes it came with a filter and everything, but I did have to replace the heater because it didnt heat the water very well! But yeah I did have to clean the tank a bit but everything was included!

Your oscar is going to grow extremely fast. I'm not a big fan of temporary homes, unless your finding homes for rescue fish.. If you want a oscar your LFS may do some trading for one on the fish you already have.

I dont think youd be able to give it away once youve grown it. It would be like giving away a dog youve had for afew years.

Thanks for the advice! So what would be a good set up if I still wanted to do a SA cichlid tank or should I go withomething else?

Thanks for the advice! So what would be a good set up if I still wanted to do a SA cichlid tank or should I go withomething else?

I really like fire mouths , they are beautiful and are not as aggressive as some of the others. Jack dempseys are great too. I had two jacks , but mine stayed hidden a lot. The fire mouths greet me like my oscars do.. Just search SA cichlid and do a little research and see which one best fits what your looking for..

Could you please not make 2 identical threads? this clogs the forum and besides, people will help u.

thx

Yeah ill stop doing that.. my bad. But thanks ill look around and do a lil more research and hopefully find something good!

If you don't convert the tank get rid of that kisser and orange barb. I would convert it myself into either a single jack dempsey with a few tankmates or look into blue Acaras and firemouth cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom