55gal Cycling Question:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kay2lynnS

Aquarium Advice Regular
Cycling Question:

We did the waterchance. As seen above. Here are the water readings we got from the past few days...

Oct. 17 (after WC)
Ammonia: 0
pH: 7.4
Nitrite: over 5ppm (can't read it off the chart.)
Nitrate:10-20ppm

Oct.18
pH: 7.6
Nitrite: 5ppm (again above the reading chart)
Nitrate:80ppm

Oct. 19
pH: 7.6
Nitrite:5ppm chart (guess what? Still above the chart. )
Nitrate: 10ppm

Why did my nitrate lower so fast past my Nitrite???
Help me please!

This is on your 55g, correct? I would double check your test results & make sure your really banging/shaking those nitrate bottles and that your ph has not dropped. Testing error aside, I have seen this happen before but it usually coincides with a ph drop. Are you using both the regular & high ph tests? 7.6 on the regular ph test means your ph may be 7.3 or 8.8- a 'blue' reading needs to be double checked with the high test.

Also, when the nitrite levels reach insane levels they will inhibit your good bacteria & stall a cycle. My suggestion would be a big water change to drop your nitrite levels down to a readable number. Under 2ppm but under 1ppm would be better. Then just add 1ppm of ammonia and lets see how things look in 24hrs. :)

So I tested the water again today. And thwarting nitrate levels jumped!
Nitrite: still at 5.0ppm
Nitrate: 80 or 160ppm (mom and I have different opinions...)

So that jumped a whole lot...
We still did a 50% waterchange.

Will tell you the test results in a few hours. :)

After a 50% waterchange:
pH:7.6
High pH:7.4
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate:10ppm

Going to add some ammonia.

Nitrites are still high the 55gal.
But it hasn't been 24 hours yet...
:(

Nitrites still high. Going to do a larger water change. We have 3 bio filters in the 2 filters we have. Should we take one out? Will that help any?

Back
Top Bottom