Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

55gal humming along - what fish next?

So my 55 is humming along nicely - did fishless cycle. Have 10 danios, 6 tiger barbs, a rafael and a pictus cat.

I realize I could stop there - assuming the danios get 2" (10x2=20"), the tiger barbs get 3" (6x3=18), rafael goes 5", pictus goes 5", I'm at 48" (if we use the inches theory).

What would be a nice addition to finish out the family? Maybe something less "schooly". I'd love to do a pair of kribs and have plenty of hiding places...

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

check ur sizes on the rafael and pictus--the striped raphael has a size of about 8.5 inches i believe and a pictus can get 6+. I would say that the kribs would overstock your tank. I would also say that your danios might potentially get eaten if they are small (and even if they are large). Ive read striped raphael catfish's eat everything (i want one myself but am hesitant for this reason) and the pictus will probably try and make a go at them as well (reason being is because i lost 5 neons to a pictus and neons are about the size of small danios). Idk you might have better luck since its a larger tank again im all theory and research at the moment. Wait for a few more people to comment on here.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, sizes for those cats can vary - those I listed were just from two sources on the internet.

So far seiing no trouble with the Pictus or Raphael and the Danios. 10 darting danios seem to have no pressure from the cats. Plus the cats are still smallish...
Old 03-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe consider a small species of pleco?
Bristlenose maybe? or one of the specialty L numbers.

Tags
55 gallon, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com