5g Cycling Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceania

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm fairly new to aquariums I already have a cycled 15g tank that has been running for 5 months now and just recently acquired a 5g tank that I have just started cycling using driftwood and plant from my 15g tank. I tested the water after a week and current results are:
pH>7.6
Ammonia>0.25-0.50ppm
Nitrites>1.0-2.0ppm

I didn't test Nitrates as I thought it was too early to test that yet. Will cycling this way take a shorter amount of time with a smaller tank and will turning up the heater speed it up or just cause an algea bloom?

I'm not sure about the size of the tank but turning the heater up will help and if you have a bubble turn that on as well. You shouldn't have an algae problem, you don't need lights to cycle. Also you should take a look at the articles in the sticky of "getting started" they are extremely helpful.

Hi, I'm fairly new to aquariums I already have a cycled 15g tank that has been running for 5 months now and just recently acquired a 5g tank that I have just started cycling using driftwood and plant from my 15g tank. I tested the water after a week and current results are:
pH>7.6
Ammonia>0.25-0.50ppm
Nitrites>1.0-2.0ppm

I didn't test Nitrates as I thought it was too early to test that yet. Will cycling this way take a shorter amount of time with a smaller tank and will turning up the heater speed it up or just cause an algea bloom?

if your looking for a better heater dont use one of the ones where its a guessing game get the one in my signature! It has an autoshut off.

Back
Top Bottom