5g questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zfarrias1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Southern California, weather's great, people are j
Hey I just recently joined this site because I was going through the garage (I'm 13 with nothing better to do) and i dug up this 5 gallon tank from like 5 years ago. So I cleaned it, got some gravel, decorations, fake plants, blah blah blah..... Now my main question is: What should i put in it? Atm I'm thinking about a male guppy, 2 females, and a green Cory catfish. But I'm pretty new to the fish world, and I really have no idea what i should get. In advance::thanks:

there aren't many fish suited for a 5g tank. it would make an excellent shrimp or betta tank. a cory has no place in a 5g. they get too large and are MUCH too active. besides that, they should be in shoals of 5+ to be comfortable.

make sure you do some reading on the nitrogen cycle, and fishless cycling. it sounds daunting at first, but it's really not that complicated. it's actually much easier in the long run.

welcome to AA :)

also: if you put male and female guppies together they will multiply very quickly! having 3 in a 5g is pushing it in the first place, once they have babies, you'll need something much bigger.

Hey I just recently joined this site because I was going through the garage (I'm 13 with nothing better to do) and i dug up this 5 gallon tank from like 5 years ago. So I cleaned it, got some gravel, decorations, fake plants, blah blah blah..... Now my main question is: What should i put in it? Atm I'm thinking about a male guppy, 2 females, and a green Cory catfish. But I'm pretty new to the fish world, and I really have no idea what i should get. In advance::thanks:

Welcome Aboard!

Do you have a filter for it? Before getting any fish, I'd suggest you read up on cycling your tank (link below) so it'll be ready for fish. Fish stock sounds good to me.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

I actually prefer this thread for fishless cycling-> http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html
both are good though :)
Well thank you for calling me a dummy :p. I do have a filter yes, and have started fishless cycling. As for an algae eater, what do you recommend? Also, should i get three guppies or three neon tetras? Final thing is that when they do start multiplying, what should I do :confused: I can't get a bigger tank because if I do I'll just fill it up with catfish, and I also don't have room for a breeder or a second tank.

Well thank you for calling me a dummy :p. I do have a filter yes, and have started fishless cycling. As for an algae eater, what do you recommend? Also, should i get three guppies or three neon tetras? Final thing is that when they do start multiplying, what should I do :confused: I can't get a bigger tank because if I do I'll just fill it up with catfish, and I also don't have room for a breeder or a second tank.

it's a great thread, it's the thread i used to cycle my tanks.

shrimp or snails are going to be the only algae eaters that are suitable for a 5 gallon tank.

do not get tetras, they need schools of 6+ and are far too active for a 5 gallon.

if you really want guppies then get only males. then you don't have to worry about the babies. otherwise you will have a horribly overstocked tank in no time.

I second that it would make a great beta tank, add a few shrimp and your set!

Back
Top Bottom