6 year old granddaughter still staring at empty tank. please help out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buffy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

Lights,
Filter,
Water.

Kind of lights?
Kind of filter?
Water parameters besides amm, ph, nitrate, nitrate to look for?

Thanks for any and all your help.

Unfortunately, I think you might not have the full knowledge on "cycling". To many pet stores, their version is running the tank filters for a few days, but true cycling of an aquarium involves the nitrogen cycle and colonizing beneficial bacteria to make your aquarium safe for fish.

Here's a few articles to check out before picking up any fish-

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Why has the tank been sitting for two months? Unfortunately it doesn't cycle in one day and letting the tank run doesn't cycle it either, so you have two options:

1. Do a fishless cycle, which is safer for the fish in the longrun and easier on you (or whoever is going to maintain the tank), but which could take another few weeks. or
2. Do a fish-in cycle, which is going to require daily testing of the water and water changes to keep the toxic levels low (water changes could get as frequent as 1-2x per day for 2-3 months).

There are two links in my signature; one for fishless cycling and one for fish-in. Read both before you decide. Also youll need the API Master liquid test kit for either scenario.

She will be picking the fish soon. It's all up to her.

This is not advisable at all. Serious research must be done PRIOR to purchasing fish so that compatibility and environmental issues can be addressed.

She will be best served going "window shopping" at the store to see which fish she really likes. DO NOT BUY DURING THAT TRIP! This is a research-only trip. When you get home, you can do further research on the species she's interested in and plan a healthy stock for her tank.

This is not advisable at all. Serious research must be done PRIOR to purchasing fish so that compatibility and environmental issues can be addressed.

She will be best served going "window shopping" at the store to see which fish she really likes. DO NOT BUY DURING THAT TRIP! This is a research-only trip. When you get home, you can do further research on the species she's interested in and plan a healthy stock for her tank.

Good points. Also what size tank, I don't think it's mentioned? A 20 gal tank offers many more stocking options than a 5 gal, for instance. Also fish like goldfish needs a minimum of 20 gal for one goldfish, so things like that need to be researched before fish are bought and thrown in. If you do a fishless cycle, that's the best time to take your time and do some research on the proper fish for the tank. :)

Every piece of information you've been given is dead on accurate. The information available on proper aquarium keeping is not like when I was young
and was told to get a tank, add gravel / decor, pour in water and then add fish ... sometimes not in that order ...:facepalm:

I highly suggest investing in a 20 gal at minimum if possible .... then do a fishless cycle to establish the necessary bacteria that will keep your fish from poisoning themselves. The links eco23 sent you is a must read!(y)

Good luck!

Wow, I'm stunned. :hide:

When she decides what she wants I will be checking the care needed and such BEFORE she buys, I said picking up fish soon, I didn't say now nor did I elaborate "window shopping" first because I wasn't going to provide every little detail of how I go about it. I don't go to store and just buy.

I hope you can appreciate that our responses were based on the limited information you shared with us.

I know what you mean, Buffy. I have found that only a little bit of info and ONLY the question you need answer, asked. Otherwise some tend to take parts of your explaination and lecture and tell you what your doing wrong and how awful you are for doing it. (In my experience anyway)
Luckily I havent had to ask anything for a long time. Hopefully my issues of random fish deaths and cloudy water are far behind me. Good with with her tank :) Neons are always nice! And pretty

I have a 10 gallon tank with a penguin biowheel filter, and I like it. Totally recommended. However, it makes a water trickling noise that she may not like (I think its relaxing)

I'm a newb, too, but I can see some of Buffy's frustrations. Those of you that have been here forever obviously do see the same questions over and over, but this stuff is nowhere near second nature for those of us getting started. Even though I'm sure it is not intended, some of the quick replies do come across with a "you idiot" feel to them.

But, in defense of the repliees (is that a word?), Buffy's original message said quote "So that when she goes home tomorrow, we only need to cycle and add her fish". Being a newb myself, I haven't stepped off into the advice giving mode . . . . . but I thought the exact same thing as many of the rest of you. That simple statement IMPLIES cycling and adding fish is a virtually instantaneous process. It didn't occur to me to see that her post count was over 700, so she's obviously been here long enough to know the extreme basics.

Just my 0.02. I'll go back to the sidelines now.

Agreed. That particular sentence "So that when she goes home tomorrow, we only need to cycle and add her fish". was ridiculously easy to take out of context, and to be honest, the rest was borderline confusing to me. Just in my personal opinion, a short clarification would have been much more appropriate than a rant questioning our intentions. The members who initially responded (who have proven to be very helpful and respected) are much less likely to provide help in the future with a response like that. I'm sorry I misunderstood (although it was easy to do), but I don't feel the response to the advise was appropriate either. Just my 2 cents as well ;). Now back to the original purpose...

Agreed. That particular sentence "So that when she goes home tomorrow, we only need to cycle and add her fish". was ridiculously easy to take out of context, and to be honest, the rest was borderline confusing to me. Just in my personal opinion, a short clarification would have been much more appropriate than a rant questioning our intentions. The members who initially responded (who have proven to be very helpful and respected) are much less likely to provide help in the future with a response like that. I'm sorry I misunderstood (although it was easy to do), but I don't feel the response to the advise was appropriate either. Just my 2 cents as well ;). Now back to the original purpose...

Agreed, that's all I'll say on that.

As for the original question, I think PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia are all you need to test for. API sells a good liquid test kit for freshwater that most use. You could also test for GH/KH just to see what it is, but I wouldn't say it was essential.

As for the filtration, I only have (limited) experience with mine so far. On my 20 gal I have two: An AquaClear 20 HOB and an internal fluval u2. I like both. The AquaClear does make a bit of noise as the water hits the surface, some people like it, some don't, it doesn't bother me. The Internal Fluval is nice b/c it's internal and it has adjustable flow.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, just thought I'd point that out to begin with.

You guys will have to give her a break, she is probably just stressed from living in the Wausau, WI area which is a horribly boring place to live. I know from experience because I grew up in that area.

So, to Buffy, sorry you have to suffer up there in Wausau.

But, on a serious note, settle down a bit. So many people don't know what they're doing so it's generally better to give too much information rather than too little.

Oh, and about the Wausau thing, I'm kidding (for the most part). :D

if you wanted to just post the essential info you could have just posted

"I'm a salty and setting up a tank for my granddaughter and wanted to double check if there is anything I need to test for a fw tank other than ammo/nitrites/nitrates. Also, if I need anything other than tank/gravel/deco/lights/filter and what light/filter you recommend."

I have to agree you were too wordy for so little information, making it harder to follow, and ambiguous in places. It makes sense for others to assume the worse when it comes to ambiguity however, since giving you info you already know is better than not giving you info because we THINK you know it. I doubt anyone was talking down to you as if you know nothing, and just wanted to make sure you knew what you needed -just in case-.

The only reason you would need any kind of lighting upgrade is if you were planning on doing live plants. Since the tank belongs to a 6 yr old... I doubt that is the case so stock lighting is fine. Actually any lighting is fine as long as she can see her fish when she wants to.

You will find that FW isnt that much different than salt with the exception of... Well, salt. Same testing, etc. Good luck with a quick cycle and trying to get a 6 year old to clean a fish tank. (basing that one on my experience trying to get my kids to do ANYTHING that doesn't involve a TV or a handheld video game.... Oh the joys of parenthood and the evils of technology)

I would like to stop this back and forth discussion of this whole thing. I believe we agree there was misunderstandings.

My final question I believe was about lighting. If no one has or wants to give any input for lights please don't respond and just ignore the thread. I do not want this to get drug out. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom