60 Gallon Freshwater Tank "Tiger Barbs"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2teezall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im Anthony from Atlanta GA. I bought a MarineLand 60 Gallon Tank from Petsmart 3 1/2 months ago . I always wanted to have a fish tank and but wanted a big one that I can enjoy. I was able to finally catch a sale and bought the tank. After lots of research I bought all my accessories and been adding on to it every week since I got it. I do want to say somethings I did wrong but my fish "I guess" are healthy.
I started off with two Tiger Barbs and 1 Red Neon Guppy to cycle my tank. I actually bought some tank cycling stuff from marineland and never seen my ammonia nitrites or nitrate spike. So far I have a 7.6 ph 0 Ammonia 0 nitrite and 5.0 nitrites. I also added 3 decorations 2 with air bubbles black rock substrate 2 1/2 inches 10 live plants I know 3 are Amazon swords. Everything i have in my tank is small or middle size because it was cheaper.
Now i have 4 Tiger barbs... 3 Platinum green tiger barbs... 3 Albino tiger barbs... 3 Denison Barbs ... 1 Rainbow Shark... 1 Pleco catfish.. 1 Clown Loach ... 1 AngelFish (black and white) and 1 Red neon guppy.
I had 3 fish deaths so far I had one platinum green tiger barb fight with the other platinum barb. At the time i didnt know that is what they called fighting. Woke up and he was dead. 1 Albino Tiger barb got stuck in this small hole in my treehouse decoration i saved him but scratched his belly he lost color and died in 10 days... 1 rainbow shark from overfeeding i believe, his back was bent and he was swimming weird i didnt want to do it but i flushed him.
I learned to clean my filter with the water i take out from my water changes i just changed one filter today because i never changed it i learned that on this site. Also carbon makes my tank extra clear.

Basically thats it all my fish get along no fighting or fin nipping my guppy stays at the top alot but swins with my barbs my angelfish laid down the law to the barbs in the first 10 minutes. My pleco clown loach hides alot .

If you have suggestions about my tank please let me know .

60 gallon Freshwater tank... Planted featuring 10 Tiger Barbs 3 Denison Barbs 1 Rainbow Shark 1 Angelfish 1 Red neon guppy

A few pics

60 gallon Freshwater tank... Planted featuring 10 Tiger Barbs 3 Denison Barbs 1 Rainbow Shark 1 Angelfish 1 Red neon guppy

Attachments

• 1418119846808.jpg
    1418119846808.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 1418119881950.jpg
    1418119881950.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 1418119936877.jpg
    1418119936877.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 1418119962115.jpg
    1418119962115.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 137
And do you know what kind of Pleco you have? Do you mean 5 nitrates?

Fishobsessed7

Fishobsessed The Tiger barbs never meseds with the Angel. The guppy was my #1 fish in the tank so I think he survived because of seniority. Yes I meant Nitrates it did spike to 20ppm but I did a water change. Update clown loach had ick and brought it in my tank he died but took 2 denison barbs with him.. My temp is at 86 DEGREES right now. My pleco been lost for 7 days i was cleaning the tank and saw some white hard scales didnt know what it was at the time but after searching this forum board i think it was his carcass. I took everything out my tank to clean it because of my brown algae bloom.

So as of now me and the tank are at war..

Also this was my pleco... some reason the pic is sideways

Attachments

• 1418573447171.jpg
    1418573447171.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 95
I would keep an eye on the tigers, they are known to attack angels and guppies, but you have a decent amount of barbs, so you should be fine. The rainbow shark may become aggressive, but your tank is pretty big, so everyone will have their space.

The clown loach is hiding because it is a schooling fish. They like to be in groups of 6 or more. They will come out more and hide less in bigger numbers. That said- they get massive. Like a foot long or more. They are slow growers though

Tiger barbs are fairly aggressive. There is a pretty good chance that they will nip the guppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oops sorry. I missed the post that he got ick and died.

There is a chance that it was from stress from being alone. In the future if you were to get them again you should probably get a few at a time.

I really didnt like him to begin with he just looked like my tiger barbs. When this ICK thing is over im going to my LFS , to get my Denison barbs back and a few more platinum green barbs. I keep an eye on the Angel next month im getting an 120 gallon cichlid tank and my angel and electric blue ram will go in there.

Also i think the barbs ate the pleco i cleaned out the hole tank. Its kinda sad because they are sneaky.

I love denison's! They are one of my favorite fish types :)

I love denison's! They are one of my favorite fish types :)

Cant wait til mine get big

Back
Top Bottom